D&D 5E New Unearthed Arcana: Wonders of the Multiverse

WotC has posted a new Unearthed Arcana featuring the Glitchling race, the Fate domain, and a handful of backgrounds, feats and spells. In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore D&D character options from across the multiverse. This playtest document presents the glitchling race; the Fate Domain cleric subclass; and the gate warden, giant foundling, planar philosopher, and rune carver...

WotC has posted a new Unearthed Arcana featuring the Glitchling race, the Fate domain, and a handful of backgrounds, feats and spells.

In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore D&D character options from across the multiverse. This playtest document presents the glitchling race; the Fate Domain cleric subclass; and the gate warden, giant foundling, planar philosopher, and rune carver backgrounds. Additionally, a collection of new feats provide links to giants and other primordial forces of the planes, while a selection of new spells highlight the power of fate and chance.

Argyle King

Legend
This was what leaped out at me too. With the defence fighting style and a 20 dex, I think that's the highest non-magically-assisted AC in the game. You could equal it with a dex 20 wis 20 monk who also somehow got the defence fighting style too, though.

I once played a lizardfolk paladin based around Dex. I used a shield and a whip (low base damage, but I'd add smites with reach). It was a good tank due to racial AC bonuses.

I could see trying something similar with the Glitchling. Maybe fluff it to look like Archangel from Marvel Comics.

Stalker0

Legend
My quick and dirty:

Glitchlings: Pretty neat. The auto 10 might be a bit strong on saves, if you have the right bonuses and always pass on a 10, effectively you gain legendary resistance. Than again, against other abilities its 100% worthless, so probably fine.

Fate Domain: I know they get the augury ability, but shouldn't augury be on their domain spell list? The hunter's mark esque ability is a little weird, I also think it should be charisma save (charisma to me is better for more soul/extraplanar stuff, and I don't think the save should be as hard as a full wisdom save).

Cohort of Chaos: Possible exploit, if I can attack cantrip the ground or something, and keep my party a good distance away from me, I effectively gain and at-will teleport (just keep rolling until you get the teleport option, as none of the other options really trip you up if your allies are a distance away). Now its a slow teleport, but if your just exploring and you have time....you have a character that can just teleport whereever they want. Note that the per day uses is ONLY for the bonus action surge, not the attack roll portion.

Ember of the fire Giant: Now that's a feat! Lots of goodies in that one.

Antagonize Spell: Not sure about this one. Even assuming they fail the save AND hit with their attack, are they really doing that much damage as compared to fireball? The upcast is so weak its insulting. The loss of a reaction could be useful against a caster, but if I'm trying to disable there are way better options. This feels like a 2nd level spell.

House of Cards: Neat spell, not sure ultimately how useful it will be, but its a cool design.

Spirit of Death: Seems like a decent enough summons, the fact that it gets advantage on all its attacks is pretty solid and it does reasonable damage with a reasonable AC. I'd have to compare it to other summons but at first glance I like it.

Warrior's Spirit: I think the bonus action unarmed strike is needlessly complicated. Just give the monk version 1 extra attack over the other forms, easy peesy. There's no reason to perfectly replicate a monk or a fighter. Also again depending on how you rule attacks, that fighter could just keep giving the entire party temp hp for an entire hour over and over again. That seems pretty darn good.

Undrave

Legend
I do not hate the dabbler subclasses for fighter and rogue I agree those are good but what I hate is the sorcerer as that might as well be a big fat sigh saying the only class I ever truly loved thematically(I will agree the mechanics need one or two redos) is dead that what other people want is so weak and barely flavoured that most filter water has more taste.
every edition has different takes on mechanics which I am fine with what I do not like is someone making something simply to make others many who may simply hate having the idea of psionic touching their precious Tolkien orc murder simulator and make it so I can never have a caster I can truly ever love.
Too much spell slots in 5e, too much reliance on spells to do everything, and they put too many 'Psionic' ability in spells already and gave them to like... Wizard and Warlocks. Should have kept some stuff in reserve so a proper Psionic class could have unique stuff.

But 'people don't like to learn new system' -_- I actually liked the psi dice mechanic! It felt fresh!

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Too much spell slots in 5e, too much reliance on spells to do everything, and they put too many 'Psionic' ability in spells already and gave them to like... Wizard and Warlocks. Should have kept some stuff in reserve so a proper Psionic class could have unique stuff.
Agreed a lot of the ranger spells should be class abilities or straight up rituals,
But 'people don't like to learn new system' -_- I actually liked the psi dice mechanic! It felt fresh!
But it also attracted a lot of ire here.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Agreed a lot of the ranger spells should be class abilities or straight up rituals,

But it also attracted a lot of ire here.
I've come to the conclusion that WotC made a mistake in publicly playtesting their psionics rules at all. They should have just developed what they wanted in-house and released it. Nothing they developed would have passed muster with enough folks to for them to feel comfortable with it anyway.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I've come to the conclusion that WotC made a mistake in publicly playtesting their psionics rules at all. They should have just developed what they wanted in-house and released it. Nothing they developed would have passed muster with enough folks to for them to feel comfortable with it anyway.
You could very well be correct but they had a lot of success and generated a lot of goodwill by public playtesting before that and before they tried with psionics neither they nor us appreciated how divided people were on the topic.

Remove ads

Remove ads