D&D 5E New Year speculation thread!

darjr

I crit!
I love the speculation threads. So I'm starting one! With the new year and a couple new books out, that might contain clues to whats in the plan, what do you think is going to happen?

I'd prefer solid guesses but wild theories are fun too, just kinda let us know which your post is.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I think it will be the year of settings. We’re either going to learn what those three classic settings WOTC have planned to revive for 5E are or we will get that plus the first release of said material. I’m torn between the full setting book (which I’d prefer) or the module model (Curse of Strahd). I think they will go with the full setting books. But who knows.

I’m hoping those settings are: Dark Sun, Spelljammer, and the Known World / Mystara. But instead of the last they’ll probably do something more popular and less interesting (to me) like Greyhawk or Dragonlance.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I think there will be a Dragon-focused release from what we've seen in the last UA.
With the draconic archetypes and the death knight inspired warlock patron, I'd guess a Dragonlance release, with the participation of W&H, since they seem to be ready to announce something big.

After that? We've had a jungle release, an aquatic release, an snowy release, so I'm betting on a desert OR fey themed release.

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
Is it normal that we know nothing of the next D&D5e book at this juncture? Do they usually wait after the holiday season?

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Is it normal that we know nothing of the next D&D5e book at this juncture? Do they usually wait after the holiday season?
What did we now about Tasha's before it was announced? How long between the announcement and the actual publication of the book?

When did we know there was a new book coming?
24 August 2020. Tasha's was announced.
17 November 2020. Tasha's was released.

With all the fuss about legal actions from Weiss and Hickman and such a quick removal of said case, betting on Dragonlance is a no brainer. I would like to see Planescape/Spelljammer mix and Greyhawk.

Remove ads