NEWS; Gunning down the Snyderverse UPDATE Cavill gets the Kryptonite handshake!

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Have you seen his Suicide Squad movie? That is a movie that finds every opportunity to kill people in horrible ways, mostly at the hands of Squad members. I know, I know - they're not "heroes". But...yeesh. And his Guardians of the Galaxy movies enjoy at least one good brutal kill-fest per movie.

peacemaker-its-a-locker-room-dude.gif

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Have you seen his Suicide Squad movie? That is a movie that finds every opportunity to kill people in horrible ways, mostly at the hands of Squad members. I know, I know - they're not "heroes". But...yeesh. And his Guardians of the Galaxy movies enjoy at least one good brutal kill-fest per movie.
Yes, I have. And I watched his Peacemaker show. They're great. I don't have an issue with those. Because, importantly, they're not superheroes. Peacemaker is, at best, an anti-hero. I mean this is even called out in the show. The whole Suicide Squad are, at best, anti-heroes. Literally imprisoned villains forced to work for the government as black ops agents. They are not good people. Loved the callback to the first issue of Suicide Squad in Gunn's version, btw.

However, Superman is a superhero. Batman is a superhero. It's when you can't tell the difference between Superman, Batman, and Peacemaker that I have a problem. Batman doesn't kill, but he does in the newer DC movies. Superman doesn't kill, but he does in the newer DC movies. That's what I'm talking about.

People with powers who kill is fine. Deadpool's awesome. The Boys is fine. Not my cuppa, but whatever. But that's a subgenre that shouldn't be how the main superheroes are portrayed. When Superman is portrayed as an anti-hero...you have the wrong person running the show. I mean, if you want anything like supporting "evidence" look at how much better the Marvel movies do and have done than the DC movies. Sure, you get that in the comics on occasion, but it's almost always in Elseworlds or one-off graphic novels.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
That movie is the longest train crash in History! It just keeps getting worst...

Part of it is that the studio kept hoping that the bad news about Ezra Miller would clear up .... but nope. They just kept digging that hole.

In terms of the 2022 year in review, I'm fairly certain that WB is thankful that Kanye stepped up and saw what Ezra was doing and said, "Hold my beer."

Stalker0

Legend
Its rumoured that Gunn will be focussing on Amanda Waller as the lynchpin for the new DC Universe
If they go that route I think they are going to have to do some changes to the Waller character.

Take Black Adam for example. One of the pieces that absolutely did not fit, Hawkman working with Waller. Hawkman was presented as this paragon of honor, it was his defining trait. Yet he's working with Waller, whose as honorless as it comes, she'll do anything to get the job done. That pairing did not make any damn sense.

So either they need to make her more "justice oriented", or do something where she literally has like blackmail on everyone and keeps them in line through chicanery. Anything in the middle just doesn't' work.

nevin

Hero
Im worried that Gunn is going to double down on stealth snyderverse meets suicide squad. i wont miss the caville superman but not because of caville because the stories were horrible. but Wonder woman and Aquaman have been thier only true successes and it seems they are trying to move them ti the corner. makes no sense to me. I will say the article could be interpreted that the recent wonder woman script got cancelled not wonder woman. But supposedly Mimoa is going to become LOBO which will be great, but not so good for aquaman franchise

Remove ads