news scoop: insider account of how the statement was drafted, and the fear-based culture in Wizards offices

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Those folks could post their news on blogs, facebook, Mastodon, etc. Twitter is not the only social media out there.
Very true, but Twitter has a lot of reach. Certainly much greater than individual blogs and Mastodon and I believe also greater than FB.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
My credentials? Sorry, but if folks don't post here, they've never heard of me. "Moderator of a message board you've never been to" and $4.15 will get you a venti latte.
$4.15 for a venti? You haven’t been to Starbucks in a while, have you?

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
No, it isn't. Twitter really, really, really isn't unique.

You can live (and learn, and get news ... even breaking news) just fine without it.

That people are addicted to the endorphin rush doesn't make the service irreplaceable.
I actually hate Twitter (and this from before the acquisition by Musk), but still it is the only place to get some some kind of info, unfortunately.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I actually hate Twitter (and this from before the acquisition by Musk), but still it is the only place to get some some kind of info, unfortunately.

And some places are the only places to get a particular type of chicken sandwich.

Look, you don't need anything twitter, or facebook, or any of a number of places is providing. You can live just fine without it. People make affirmative choices .... that's fine too, but don't try to paint it like, "Oh, I can't live without it. Air, water, food, twitter, shelter. That's the hierarchy of needs."

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
And some places are the only places to get a particular type of chicken sandwich.

Look, you don't need anything twitter, or facebook, or any of a number of places is providing. You can live just fine without it. People make affirmative choices .... that's fine too, but don't try to paint it like, "Oh, I can't live without it. Air, water, food, twitter, shelter. That's the hierarchy of needs."
Never said I coudn't live without it, but whatever... I don't care enough about Twitter to argue this further.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I gotta say, all of these defenses of various things I've been reading remind me a lot of a friend back in the day who used to say, "Yeah, I know that place is awful, but where else am I going to get that yummy chicken sandwich?"
Pretty poor analogy, since there are in fact lots of other places you can get a chicken sandwich.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
$4.15 for a venti? You haven’t been to Starbucks in a while, have you?

As I said, I don't actually drink coffee. And All these coffee places use the equivalent of floor sweepings for tea (except for Dunkin, which somehow does a passable iced tea).

I looked it up on a site that gives averages of prices for fast food. Numbers were for January 2023.

Remove ads