D&D 5E Next (3rd book of the year) endless speculation thread

Requoted for EMPHASIS

In the Year of the Scarlet Witch, 1491 DR, Mordenkainen, still suffering from bouts of madness, was in Waterdeep, where Storm Silverhand and Elminster were helping him to recover from them.[1]
That means he visited the Realms, not that he lives there now. By 1492 DR, he's out visiting Avernus, where on page 97 of DtA, he is specfically called an "archmage of Oerth", not Toril. From that, it seems that both WotC, and Mordenkainen himself in-universe, considers Oerth his home...

OB1

Jedi Master
My big prediction for book 3 this year is a Spelljamming Adventure Path that winds through several classic settings (collecting artifacts from each one for some wizards Dream of the Blue Veil) and ends on the Astral Sea and possibly at Sigil, leading into the 4th book which will be a Sigil/Planes Campaign Setting Guide.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
My big prediction for book 3 this year is a Spelljamming Adventure Path that winds through several classic settings (collecting artifacts from each one for some wizards Dream of the Blue Veil) and ends on the Astral Sea and possibly at Sigil, leading into the 4th book which will be a Sigil/Planes Campaign Setting Guide.

You and my both... that would be very fun.

Also, let me play as Giff!

I'm not seeing any convincing speculation for any specific "classic" settings here, despite us supposedly getting two in the near-ish future.

The Feywild UA is awesome but does not match at all with any "classic" setting unless WotC are going really daring and counting the Nentir Vale, which seems... unlikely. So I suspect that despite the other UA being very shortly before the product it was for, that is for a further-out book. Hilariously it's the only UA I've seen my 40-ish players ever actually get excited about. Who knew Owlmen and so on were something they wanted?

I mean, they could fit with a Planescape-ish thing, but unless we see similar UA for other planes, I very much doubt that's where we're going. Something in the Spelljammer/Planescape area seems the most plausible. Dragonlance seems very implausible precisely for the reasons Hickman accidentally gave in his modernity vs tradition nonsense.

@OB1 that's a pretty cool idea I have to admit.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Who said mtg is a classic setting? Did someone in this thread? Must have missed it.

And no, I dint think Nentir Vale counts. As good as it is I’m pretty sure they meant classic from the list they ranked what responders said was most popular. Someone needs to find that list.

The top Tier Settings were the Forgotten Realms, Eberron, Ravenloft, Dark Sun and Planescape. Which would coincidentally suggest Dark Sun and Planescape as the other two "classic" Settings teased by Winninger.

Greyhawk, Dragonlance, and Spelljammer were middle tier.

Then everything else was lower tier.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
That's what most of us WANT it to be (or something like that). So probably not. Good idea, though!

Urriak Uruk

For the folks bringing up how Lantan was hinted (a really long time ago), I actually went back and listened to it...
I'm pretty certain that Perkins is referring to the Lantan ship in Dragon Heist. Both Perkins and Sernett clearly know very little about Lantan, meaning that they haven't actually developed much internally for it (compare it to the Chultan Dwarves, where they actively talk about how they remade them for 5E). They aren't even aware of what form of government Lantan has, which seems to some pretty top-level important stuff if you plan on visiting it in a future module.

That said, that doesn't mean this year's adventure isn't in Lantan. I just wouldn't use this video as credible evidence for that, as it seems they aren't planning for this module at that time.

Urriak Uruk

For the folks bringing up how Lantan was hinted (a really long time ago), I actually went back and listened to it...
I'm pretty certain that Perkins is referring to the Lantan ship in Dragon Heist. Both Perkins and Sernett clearly know very little about Lantan, meaning that they haven't actually developed much internally for it (compare it to the Chultan Dwarves, where they actively talk about how they remade them for 5E). They aren't even aware of what form of government Lantan has, which seems to some pretty top-level important stuff if you plan on visiting it in a future module.

That said, that doesn't mean this year's adventure isn't in Lantan. I just wouldn't use this video as credible evidence for that, as it seems they aren't planning for this module at that time.

Then again, we know they do start writing the annual adventures two years in advance (this has been referenced before), so they would have started this in 2019. I suppose it is possible that Lantan into Spelljammer was on their list of "adventures to do" in 2017.

Quickleaf

Legend
Thanks @Urriak Uruk! I don't have Dragon Heist, so I had no idea a Lantanese nimblewright (Nim) was part of that adventure. Reading through that FR wiki page, yeah I agree, that seems to be what they were alluding to, and not an adventure featuring Lantan and spelljamming.

Urriak Uruk

Thanks @Urriak Uruk! I don't have Dragon Heist, so I had no idea a Lantanese nimblewright (Nim) was part of that adventure. Reading through that FR wiki page, yeah I agree, that seems to be what they were alluding to, and not an adventure featuring Lantan and spelljamming.

I really want an adventure in Lantan/Spelljammer too, so I am disappointed I burst my own bubble...

Remove ads