D&D 5E Next (3rd book of the year) endless speculation thread

Just to add to folks trying to time things from Unearthed Arcana articles Chris Lindsay finished his chapter of Candelkeep Mysteries in 2018.

Eh, I would be surprised if a few of the adventures that made it into Candlekeep were not written for that other short adventure project that was probably canned when Welch quit WotC. So I am sure there are others that are that old too.

darjr

I crit!
Eh, I would be surprised if a few of the adventures that made it into Candlekeep were not written for that other short adventure project that was probably canned when Welch quit WotC. So I am sure there are others that are that old too.
Maybe, but this section was written specifically for Candlekeep Mysteries and given out to the adventure authors. I think there may be something else out there in the wings. After all the Kate Welch book was by "all stars" like Deborah Ann Woll. The authors of the Candlekeep Mysteries adventures are amazing but not what I think Kate Welch meant when she talked about her book. Also books sometimes don't make it. There are probably several we've never even heard a wiff of.

darjr

I crit!
I've seen no indications that Welch was involved with this book, so not sure if this is different from the project she was involved with or not yet.
Chris Perkins was the lead from the beginning. In fact it was his idea when they cut a bunch of Candlekeep material out of the Avernus book.

So, my guess? Those that wanted more adventure collections, well there may be another waiting in the wings.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Chris Perkins was the lead from the beginning. In fact it was his idea when they cut a bunch of Candlekeep material out of the Avernus book.

So, my guess? Those that wanted more adventure collections, well there may be another waiting in the wings.

Tales from the Yawning Portal and Ghosts of Saltmarsh were quite successful, and this book is pretty cool and seems to be doing well, so I've no doubt that this will continue. Getting up and coming talent to contribute was a pretty strong marketing move.

I doubt it will have anything left from anyone who has quit since the work started on that book. Publishing something by someone who no longer works for you, or is no longer under contract to you, is generally not how things are done. WotC probably owns the work, but it will never see the light of day unless these people get a new deal or something.

darjr

I crit!
I doubt it will have anything left from anyone who has quit since the work started on that book. Publishing something by someone who no longer works for you, or is no longer under contract to you, is generally not how things are done. WotC probably owns the work, but it will never see the light of day unless these people get a new deal or something.
They've published books that weren't finished from folks that have left before.

They've published books that weren't finished from folks that have left before.

Maybe something someone had a small part in or contributed to creatively, so they get their name thrown in the credits. Hollywood does that too with directors and producers or screenwriters who had their entire script thrown out or rewritten before they were fired. Big deal. If a book comes out with these missing adventures, she will get a mention in the credits at the most, and we will never know how much or how little from her scrapped project ever gets in print.

For example, all of the creation of 5E. Monte Cook was the lead designer for a few months before he bailed on the project, so he gets into the credits, but he is not credited with making 5E, nor should he be.

And yeah, the publishing world is weird and full of secrets. We have no clue what kind of contracts any of them had. Did they sell their adventures outright to WotC, like it was done in the older days? Did they retain any rights after turning it in? Were they on the payroll or only freelancing? If something is not published after a certain amount of time, do they get their rights back to their work?

And sure, some of Candlekeep was stuff cut from somewhere else, including maybe any of the adventures by a female writer being cut from Welch's project and put in there instead.

Remove ads