D&D General NFTs Are Here To Ruin Dungeons & Dragons

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
So what happens with the NFT if the character dies?

Even leaving all grift aside, this seems like a terrible idea.
I think this is why the article mentioned "railroading." If the character dies, it loses value...so characters will be conveniently resilient. If the character doesn't find enough treasure, it loses value...so characters will be conveniently wealthy. And so on.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Thanks - I hate it. Taking the "pay someone to grind your character" from MMORPGs and applying it to D&D? Wut?

• No details about the way their game will work, no specifics about where the money actually goes.
The money goes into their pockets, of course.

• Everyone working on the project is being paid in Gripnr NFTs.
The answer to the question "what could be worse than a company paying wages in company scrip?"

• No actual certification of achievement, just the typical line on an NFT receipt. They are selling "an experience," not a product.
The experience of playing someone else's character? Thanks but I can write-up Drizzt Do'Urden myself if I want to do that.

• No structures to protect the community from "bad actors," or people who rig a game to make money.
Feature not a bug! How would the money go into their pockets if those protections were in place?

• Incentivizing the dubious game structure of "railroading." Characters need to get to a certain amount of value, quickly, so that the holder can cash out.
Or the even more dubious game structure of "making a high level character and pretending you've advanced it through play". Because why actually play a character through those levels to sell them if you can just make up stories about their exploits and pretend like you played a game? (Bonus - you can use the same stories for a whole party of characters - make 6-8 characters at a time that way!)

• Operating on the assumption that people who play D&D will even want to purchase a pregen character.
I think it's more operating on the assumption that people who buy NFTs would think that people who play D&D would want to do that. These grifts are all about taking money from people who want to buy NFTs for their resale value - con them and you have a market.

• Their stated goal -- "to provide a way for underserved creators to find blockchain succss" -- is not even listed as a priority until Phase 8 of their plan.
Because "exploiting creators to put money into our own pockets" didn't focus group well as part of Phase 1.

Oofta

Legend
Here's a visual aid for those who don't understand how the NFTs will generate money as the PC's level up. It's pretty technical, but you start out with a pre-gen PC, level up, get items and then as you level up the items well be sold. How do they gain value? Well the diagram shows it better:
miracle.jpg

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases