D&D General NFTs Are Here To Ruin Dungeons & Dragons

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I can't help but think that someone needs to pay Jolly Blackburn for this business model since elements of it have been exhibited in Knights of the Dinner Table since the 1990s. Official GM credentials, a database capable of authenticating bragging rights - the only thing really missing is the whole crypto/NFT link. And that means that Hard 8 Enterprises has a better business model for such things because it's not such an environmental albatross.

Fanaelialae

Legend
No. Because if you didn't have NFTs and crypto, those renewables would still have been there and been used for other things. It's not like NFTs have caused more renewable energy to be produced.
Your response seems either predicated on a misunderstanding or wishful thinking.

If a company builds a solar farm to power their crypto farm, then those renewables would absolutely not have been there and been used for other things without the crypto farm. They built the solar farm to power the crypto farm. No crypto farm means that they likely would have had no incentive to build the solar farm.

Of course, now you might object on the grounds of what good are those renewables doing if they are being guzzled up by the crypto? Which is a fair objection, insofar as it goes. However, greater adoption fuels greater industry, driving down costs and fueling ever greater adoption.

When I was a kid, solar panels were so inefficient and expensive, that my dad (a very intelligent engineer) scoffed at the idea that there would ever be widespread adoption. Yet, thanks in large part to government subsidies, the industry was able to advance and today I live in a house that has solar panels (which actually produce more energy than we consume, though I admit that it does not mean that our energy use is entirely clean).

I agree that the buying of energy credits is something of a shell game, and I'm far from a fan of crypto. That said, I think that there is a possibility (if not the probability) that some good might come of them. Although, that could very well be wishful thinking on my own part.

Look folks, it's really simple: All confidence swindles are based on appealing to the desire of the mark for an easy win. NFTs in gaming spaces, be they TTRPGs or Video Games are built on the pitch to the gamer that they can make money doing something they were already going to do anyway, which is play games. It's money for nothing. ALWAYS be warry of anyone who tells you that you will get rewarded for no additional effort on your part. It's a con. Don't be a mark.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Strangely, I have never worked for a company that shoots kittens out of canons. But thank you for your feedback.
But you do work for a company that is accelerating climate change more rapidly than any other technology in history, to sell bundles of computer code no one actually wants and who’s function could easily be reproduced in a more energy-efficient way, so they can make yet another aspect of our daily lives into a speculative market.

Remove ads