Ngaah! Magic item foibles!

genshou

First Post
RuleMaster said:
Which items change their price from core to EoMR? Slippers of Spider Climbing are one exception, although their utility is improved.
Generally, anything that casts a specific spell changes in price simply because the way EOM puts spells together makes the MP cost vastly or slightly different. For instance, a cape of the mountebank would probably be cheaper (have to go to work in a moment, so can't do the math right now), while a ring of ULTIMATE ELEMENTAL IMMUNITY would actually be possible in a non-epic item. Uber cheapness.

Verequus

First Post
For the cape of the mountebank we would need the Dimension Door spell:

Dimension Door
Move Space 9/Gen 0
Total MP: 9
Range: Touch
Duration: One Minute

With this spell, the caster can teleport up to 800 ft. without any error.

Costs: 7 MP teleport range, 2 MP precise.

The formula is: 9 x 9 x 2000 / 5 gp = 32,400 gp. The core item costs 10,080 gp, which means that the EoMR variant has the triple cost (and you can't even take someone else with you).

The ring of Universal Elemental Immunity cost in core 2,160,000 gp. For this we need this spell:

Universal Energy Immunity
Abjure Force 15/Gen 1
Total MP: 16
Range: Touch
Duration: 1 hour

You have against all elements full protrection.

Costs: 1 MP discounted duration, 15 MP abjure force element immunity.

The formula for this type of magic item is: 16 x 16 x 1000 gp = 256,000 gp. That is 1/8th of the core item cost.

Unless someone runs all the numbers, it can't be assessed, which kind of items is cheaper or more costly in EoMR.

genshou

First Post
RuleMaster said:
Unless someone runs all the numbers, it can't be assessed, which kind of items is cheaper or more costly in EoMR.
Yep, and unfortunately running all the numbers takes a while.

I'm working out the idea of d% tables to randomly select spell lists. If it could be worked into a magic item table, it would still allow some customization with each item in the form of spell enhancements and such. Could make for some interesting items, too.

RangerWickett said:
It's something I've considered for a mini-book, but a large book of EOM magic items probably would not sell well enough for me to want to devote the necessary effort. A handful of flavorful items I can get behind, but a large book with all the necessary basic items would no interest me as a writer.

Of course, if you've statted up a few items, I'd consider putting them out as a mini-book. Let me know if you're interested.

I am interested. I have emailed you.

MI

I've gotten offers from two people to work on a magic item book. Unfortunately I'll be busy tonight and tomorrow working on edits for The Technologist, but I hope I'll be able to get in touch with you two.

RangerWickett said:
I've gotten offers from two people to work on a magic item book. Unfortunately I'll be busy tonight and tomorrow working on edits for The Technologist, but I hope I'll be able to get in touch with you two.

I have not heard from you. Still busy, or are you having difficulties in reaching me?

Remove ads