• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

NHL: Free Agency, Trade, Injury, and Rookie News!

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Knightfall1972 said:
Vancouver Canucks
Restricted: A. Chubarov, M. Cooke, M. Ohlund (filed for arbitration), J. Ruutu
Unrestricted: M. Bergevin, M. Keane, M. Lindgren, M. Arvedson

Chubarov has decided to stayt in Russia and play for the Moscow Dynamo.

Arvedson has retired.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Blueliner Quintal retires after 16 seasons

Canadian Press

8/22/2005 12:55:48 PM

MONTREAL (CP) - Stephane Quintal announced his retirement Monday after living out his childhood dream of playing for the Montreal Canadiens.

The longtime defenceman spent seven of his 16 NHL seasons, including the past three, with the Habs, who dealt his rights to the Los Angeles Kings for future considerations during the June 2004 draft.

Quintal signed with the Kings but the season and his contract were wiped out by the lockout, making him an unrestricted free agent.

He was among the players who skated with the IMG Worldstars' barnstorming charity hockey tour of Europe last winter, a stint which turned out to be his last hurrah.

He'll turn 37 on Oct. 22 and decided enough is enough.

"It's never easy to call it a career but the time has come for me to move on," he said in a statement released by his agent. "I have other career objectives and I also want to spend quality time with my wife and our two children. ...

"I have no regrets, and besides, I was fortunate enough to fulfil the dream I had of playing for the Montreal Canadiens."

The Boucherville, Que., native began his career with the Boston Bruins, who chose him in the first round, 14th overall, in the 1987 draft.

He spent parts of four seasons in Boston - scoring his first NHL goal Oct. 15, 1989 at Vancouver - before he was traded to St. Louis along with Craig Janney for Adam Oates on Feb. 7, 1992.

He only spent a year and a half with Blues, getting dealt to Winnipeg with Nelson Emerson for Phil Housley on Sept. 24, 1993.

After two seasons with the Jets, he was traded to Montreal for a second-round pick in the 1995 draft (Jason Doig) and was with the Canadiens through the 1998-99 season.

That summer he signed as a free agent with the New York Rangers, spent the 1999-2000 season with them and was claimed off waivers by Chicago on Oct. 5, 2000.

After one year with the Blackhawks, he returned to Montreal four a fourth-round pick (Brent MacLellan) in 2001.

On Jan. 6, 2004, he appeared in his 1,000th game, becoming the 193rd player in NHL to reach the milestone. He finished his career with 63 goals, 180 assists and 1,320 penalty minutes in 1,037 games.

"I am extremely proud of my NHL career and what I have been able to accomplish," he said. "I am leaving the game of hockey with a lot of pride and personal satisfaction."

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Transactions for Monday, August 22nd

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim - Signed unrestricted free agent forward Teemu Selanne.

Chicago Blackhawks - Signed defenceman Cam Barker to entry-level contract.

Columbus Blue Jackets - Signed centre Mark Hartigan, centre Peter Sarno and defenceman Mark Flood.

Florida Panthers - Re-signed centre Serge Payer.

New York Rangers - Signed forward Jarkko Immonen to entry-level contract.

New York Islanders - Signed restricted free agent forward Shawn Bates.

Ottawa Senators - Signed forward Patrick Eaves to entry-level contract.

Philadelphia Flyers - Signed goaltender Jamie Storr and forwards Eric Chouinard, Pat Kavanagh and Ryan Ready.

Phoenix Coyotes - Signed restricted free agent defenceman Paul Mara.

Vancouver Canucks - Acquired defenceman Steve McCarthy from the Chicago Blackhawks for a third-round draft pick in 2007 NHL Entry Draft, sign defenceman Sven Butenschon.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Copied over from NHL.com

Vancouver Canucks get defenceman Steve McCarthy in a trade with Chicago

6:18 PM EDT, 08/22/2005

VANCOUVER (CP) - The Vancouver Canucks have acquired defenceman Steve McCarthy from the Chicago Blackhawks for a third-round draft pick in 2007 and have also signed defenceman Sven Butenschon.

McCarthy, a 24-year-old from Trail, B.C., had a goal and three assists in 24 games for the Blackhawks in 2003-04. He missed the majority of the season with a groin injury.

Chicago drafted McCarthy 23rd overall in the 1999 NHL entry draft. The six-foot, 200-pound blue-liner has three goals, 13 assists and 45 penalty minutes in 134 career games.

McCarthy is a former captain of the Canadian junior team, winning bronze medals at the 2000 and 2001 world junior championships.

Butenschon, 29, spent last winter with Mannheim of the German Elite League and had a goal and five assists in 50 games.

The six-foot-four, 215-pound blue-liner from Germany has played for Pittsburgh, Edmonton and the New York Islanders during his seven-year career. He has two goals and 12 assists in 132 career NHL games.

He was drafted 57th overall by Pittsburgh in the 1994 NHL entry draft.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Free agent Selanne returns to Ducks

Canadian Press

8/22/2005 6:39:59 PM

ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) - Forward Teemu Selanne, the second-leading scorer in Anaheim history, returned to the Mighty Ducks on Monday.

The 35-year-old free agent signed a one-year, $1-million US contract with the team he played for from 1996-01.

Selanne, a nine-time all-star, has averaged 37 goals year in 12 NHL seasons. Since entering the league with Winnipeg in 1992, he has 452 goals. Only Jaromir Jagr (478) has scored more.

''I'm very excited to be back in Anaheim,'' Selanne said on a conference call from his home in Helsinki. ''I have such great memories from there. I'm looking forward to having many more.

''You never know in this business where you're going to be. I had a feeling I was going to come back.''

Selanne said several teams he wouldn't identify expressed interest in his services, but Anaheim was his first option all along.

''I knew exactly what kind of hockey the Ducks are going to play,'' he said. ''We know the new rules are going to be a good fit for me also. I know my family is going to be very happy in Anaheim, that's a big thing, too. I'm just very happy to get this deal done.''

Selanne said he was slowed in recent years by an injured left knee, but had surgery last September.

''My knee is as good as when I started in the NHL,'' he said. ''I'm very excited now, it's back to 100 per cent, it's time to play hockey again.

''When I can't use my speed, I'm useless. I have really high expectations of this year, not only of myself but the team. It's a new start. I think the new rules are going to help this game a lot. Without the red line, I think the game is going to be faster, particularly for our team.''

Selanne had 16 goals and 16 assists in 78 games for the Colorado Avalanche in the 2003-04 season and added three assists in 10 playoff games.

First-year general manager Brian Burke said Selanne's past has nothing to do with his return to Anaheim.

''I'm not interested in adding names, I'm interested in adding hockey players,'' Burke said. ''I signed Teemu because I think he makes us a better hockey team. We're anticipating he'll play on our top six. Certainly, I'm counting on him for top-six ice time and the power play.

''From a management standpoint, he's a proven goal-scorer. I think that's beyond dispute. I think he's a complete hockey player as well. I believe Teemu has leadership skills, which he's demonstrated here in the past. He was active in the community when he was here. That's what I have promised to Orange County and Riverside County. We believe that's a plus as well.''

Burke said the contract is for one year ''because it's not clear from our perspective what Teemu can deliver at this point.''

''I'm told his knee is fine,'' Burke said. ''He struggled a bit in his last year at Colorado. With the style we're going to play and the rules, he can play a number of years after this year. It's up to Teemu. I made it clear to his agent we're certainly not looking at this as a one-year thing.''

Selanne said the way he feels, there's no limit as to how many more seasons he can play, but added: ''Right now, I'm going to go one year at a time.''

Selanne played in 394 games for the Ducks before being traded to San Jose in March 2001 for Jeff Friesen, Steve Shields and future considerations. Anaheim acquired Selanne from Winnipeg in February 1996.

Selanne's 482 career points in 394 games ranks second in franchise history behind Paul Kariya's 669. Selanne also is second with 225 goals to Kariya's 300 and third with 257 assists behind Kariya's 369 and Steve Rucchin's 279.

Selanne won the 1999 Maurice (Rocket) Richard Trophy, given to the leagues top goal scorer, as well as the 1993 Calder Memorial Trophy, given to the league's top rookie. He has twice been a first-team NHL all-star and twice a second-team all-star (1998, 1999).

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Just thought I'd point out that I've gone through the list of free agent players (listed above) and updated it with additional players, after spending some time researching the free agents on each team. There are many new rising young players out there that are still available, as well as many vetern players.

Some of the better unrestricted players still available include Albelin, Bondra, Brathwaite, Bure, Damphousse, Deadmarsh, Dafoe, Dykhuis, Corson, Czerkawski, Francis, Grosek, Hackett, Irbe, Keane, Korolev, MacInnis, Marchment, Mironov, Orszagh, Perreault, Savage, Samuelsson, Shields, Stevens, Thomas, Tugnutt, Woolley, and Young.

I'm very surprised that no one has signed Bure, Deadmarsh, or Stevens yet.

Opinions?

KF72

devilbat

First Post
Word out of Toronto is that Steve Thomas has looked very good in skates with other pros. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he gets picked up soon.

Bure's health is in question.

Stevens is likely going to stay in Jersey, but as Bure, is health is a big question mark.

Sounds like Bondra's going to go to Atlanta.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Maybe so, about Stevens, but I'm more suprised that there aren't a few up and comers among the NHL elite that wouldn't want Stevens to at least MENTOR their young D. That would be my move as a GM. But we'll see.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
devilbat said:
Word out of Toronto is that Steve Thomas has looked very good in skates with other pros. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he gets picked up soon.

<snip>

Sounds like Bondra's going to go to Atlanta.

I'd heard those rumors, as well, but nothing has happened, as of yet.

Nightfall said:
Maybe so, about Stevens, but I'm more suprised that there aren't a few up and comers among the NHL elite that wouldn't want Stevens to at least MENTOR their young D. That would be my move as a GM. But we'll see.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Stevens might be past his prime but he has tons of experience as a Stanley Cup winner.

KF72

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads