• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

NHL: Free Agency, Trade, Injury, and Rookie News!

Teflon Billy

Explorer
devilbat said:
For that reason, I predict the Penguins will return to the play-offs, but I'll bet a second or third round exit at best.

I concur. What will take them to the Final is--like everyone--a goalie on a roll:)

Everyting else will make that more likely.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Transactions for Friday, August 19th

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim - Sign right-winger Shane Hynes.

Columbus Blue Jackets - Sign right-winger Jaroslav Balastik.

Dallas Stars - Sign forward Brenden Morrow, defenceman John Erskine, right-winger Janos Vas and goaltender Dan Ellis.

Detroit Red Wings - Sign forward Valtteri Filppula.

Edmonton Oilers - Re-sign centre Shawn Horcoff. :D

Minnesota Wild - Re-signed forward Rickard Wallin.

Nashville Predators - Sign centre Randy Robitaille.

New York Islanders - Signed unrestricted free-agent defenceman Joel Bouchard.

Ottawa Senators - Sign centre Steve Martins, left-winger Brett Clouthier and defenceman Tomas Malec.

Phoenix Coyotes - Signed unrestricted free-agent goaltender Steve Passmore.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Oilers, Horcoff agree to one-year deal

TSN.ca Staff

8/19/2005 6:30:15 PM

The Edmonton Oilers and centre Shawn Horcoff have agreed to a one-year contract.

With the deal, the Oilers and the 6-foot-1, 204-pound forward from Castlegar, British Columbia have avoided arbitration, which was scheduled for Thursday, August 25th.

The Oilers' third choice in the 1998 NHL Entry Draft, Horcoff will be entering his fifth season with Edmonton in 2005-06.

He played in Europe during the 2004-05 season with Mora IK of the Swedish Elitserien, leading his team in scoring and tying for third place in the league scoring race with 46 points in 50 games.

In 2003-04 with the Oilers, he established single-season career highs for games, goals, assists, points and penalty minutes as he scored 15 goals and added 25 assists in 80 games.

Horcoff has 111 points in 268 career games.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Stars sign Morrow to two-year deal

Sports Ticker

8/19/2005 5:03:53 PM

FRISCO, Texas (Ticker) - Brenden Morrow will spend at least the next two seasons with the only NHL team he has known.

The Dallas Stars have re-signed the left wing to a two-year contract, the team announced Friday.

TSN has learned that the deal is for $1.9 million in 2005-2006 and $2.2-million in 2006-2007.

The 26-year-old Morrow, who has spent all five of his NHL seasons with the Stars, set career highs with 25 goals and 49 points in the 2003-04 campaign. He also led the team with a career-best nine power-play goals, was second in goals and fourth in points.

"We're pleased to have reached an agreement with Brenden for the next two seasons," Stars general manager Doug Armstrong said. "He's a valuable part of this club's future and we expect he will continue to anchor our young core of players. We're very excited to have him in the fold."

Morrow has collected 97 goals and 107 assists in 370 games, and has five goals and 13 assists in 48 playoff games. During last season's lockout, he had eight tallies and 14 assists in 19 games for the Oklahoma City Blazers of the Central Hockey League.

Earlier Friday, the Stars re-signed defenseman John Erskine to a one-year contract and right wing Janos Vas to a three-year deal, and announced goaltender Dan Ellis had accepted his one-year qualifying offer.

Agamon

Adventurer
Cool, Knightfall, this beats ESPN's RSS feed. Excited about the new season, are we? :)

I have to admit that, while the most recent playoffs were fun, I'm now a little peeved at the Flames' success. I like to go see 3-4 games up in Calgary, but with them selling season tickets to watch the game hanging from the rafters, looks like I might have to go all the way to Edmonton to see a live game...

Hey, anyone know if the Comcast TV deal means we get to see hockey in OLN Canada? I'm guessing no, but it would be cool...

Last edited:

Agamon

Adventurer
Nightfall said:
*won't comment about Lindros and the leafs other than to agree, the Leafs will suffer another crushing defeat, but Lindros a) won't be the major factor and b) they sorely lack a playoff captain. *

I predict that Jason Allison and Eric Lindros will accidentally run into each other at training camp and both be out indefinitely :lol:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Agamon said:
Cool, Knightfall, this beats ESPN's RSS feed. Excited about the new season, are we? :)

:p

Agamon said:
Hey, anyone know if the Comcast TV deal means we get to see hockey in OLN Canada? I'm guessing no, but it would be cool...

Bettman told Prime Time Sports, which airs on SportsNet, that the Comcast deal is for US coverage only.

KF72

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
No transactions today, but...

Report: Thrashers make offer to Bondra

TSN.ca Staff

8/20/2005 11:24:52 AM

The Atlanta Thrashers have added their name to the list of clubs interested in aging sniper Peter Bondra.

According to the Atlanta Journal Constitution, the Thrashers have offered Bondra a one-year contract with the club. The team is expecting a decision early next week from the right winger.

"I think he's a proud guy," Thrashers GM Don Waddell told the paper. "He knows his career doesn't have that many years left and he wants to be on a winning team, whether in Washington or Atlanta. I think that's his basis. I think the money's going to be the same about everywhere he goes."

Bondra was reportedly offered a contract by the Capitals last week. The 37-year old spent his entire 13-season NHL career with the Caps before he was sent to Ottawa on Feb. 18, 2004, for center Brooks Laich.

Bondra scored five goals and 14 points in 23 games with the Senators, but the Sens did not to pick up Bondra's $3.4-million option, making him an unrestricted free agent.

Bondra's agent Ritch Winter told the Journal Constitution: "He's quite interested in Atlanta, he really likes Don, he's had direct conversations with Don. He likes the situation. Stay tuned."

"Quite a few teams are looking for a right winger," Waddell said of the up to 12 teams interested in Bondra. "The appealing thing is he's taking a one-year deal. That gets people excited nowadays."

Waddell also told the paper that he spoke to Dany Heatley's agent about a multi-year deal and the club was waiting for a response.

The team has exchanged faxes with the agent for Ilya Kovalchuk, and they plan to meet next week.

With files from the Atlanta Journal Constitution

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads