• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

NHL: Free Agency, Trade, Injury, and Rookie News!

devilbat

First Post
Mighty Ducks of Anaheim - Re-signed left wing Mike Leclerc to a one-year contract; signed defenseman Joe DiPenta to a one-year contract.

Darn, my hometeam Manitoba Moose lost both their head coach and their best defenseman to the Mighty Ducks.

New York Rangers - Re-signed restricted free agent centre Blair Betts.

Tell me Cutter, how does Glen Sather still have a job in NY?

Not surprise Lindros went to Toronto. That's where he wanted to play BEFORE the whole trade with the former Nordiques/present Avs.

I had hoped this guy would never, ever get to go where he wanted. Oh well, as far as I'm concerned Lindros and the Leafs deserve each other. Pat Quinn has done a terrible job of bringing in free agents, and the Leafs are going to suffer this season, because of it. :D

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
So, we got Thornton and Samsonov back, at least for one year for Sergi. That's good.

They have started runnnig ads here is Boston trying to let people know that the hockey is back and convince them to come to the Garden (yes we can officially call the building The Garden again) to see games. I have a feeling that is going to be a hard sell around here unless they do something about the cost. Attendence wasn't great even before the lockout.

Gwaithador

First Post
Word is the Bruins re-signed Slegr as well.

The B's are looking like a competitive team in the new NHL.

Here's confirmation of it: Bostonbruins.com

"The Boston Bruins have agreed to terms with defenseman Jiri Slegr on a one-year contract, it was announced Friday by General Manager Mike O'Connell. Slegr was an unrestricted free agent. "

Last edited:

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Slegr's a good fine for the Bs. I felt he was one of the better Pens D-man and under-rated by a lot of people.

*won't comment about Lindros and the leafs other than to agree, the Leafs will suffer another crushing defeat, but Lindros a) won't be the major factor and b) they sorely lack a playoff captain. *

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Looks to me like they'll be competitive for this year anyway. It seems they have quite a few players signed to one-year deals, which means that the team will probably be going through the free agency mill again next year. Of course after a year off for some of these players, maybe not signing them long-term isn't a bad idea.

Welverin

First Post
Thornir Alekeg said:
Looks to me like they'll be competitive for this year anyway. It seems they have quite a few players signed to one-year deals, which means that the team will probably be going through the free agency mill again next year. Of course after a year off for some of these players, maybe not signing them long-term isn't a bad idea.

There's always the option of working out a long term deal during the season for the guys that earn it.

devilbat

First Post
Outside of Slegr, the only other regular NHL'ers to sign with new teams today are Chris Gratton with the Panthers, and Valeri Bure with the Kings.

Also of note, the Sabres qualified both goaltenders Ryan Miller and Martin Biron. It kind of surprises me that they wouldn't try and sign Miller long term, as he was awesome in the AHL this past year. Even though our Moose made swiss cheese of him in the playoffs. With Miller and Mikka Noronen in the system, I would imagine Biron could become expendable by the trade deadline.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
NHL Transactions for Friday, August 12th

Another busy day...

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim - Signed restricted free agent forwards Travis Moen and Chris Kunitz.

Atlanta Thrashers - Re-signed forwards Stephen Baby and Kevin Doell and goaltender Michael Garnett.

Boston Bruins - Agreed to terms with defenseman Jiri Slegr on a one-year contract.

Buffalo Sabres - Signed restricted free agent goaltenders Ryan Miller and Martin Biron and defenceman Brian Campbell to one-year qualifying offers.

Calgary Flames - Signed restricted free agent goaltender Miikka Kiprusoff to a multi-year contract, signed restricted free agent defenceman Rhett Warrener.

Columbus Blue Jackets - Signed unrestricted free agent defenceman Jeff MacMillan.

Carolina Hurricanes - Signed restricted free agent forwards Erik Cole, Gordie Dwyer, Colin Forbes, Mike Zigomanis and Jesse Boulerice.

Dallas Stars - Re-signed right wing David Oliver; announced goaltender Mike Smith signed his one-year qualifying offer; signed center Yared Hagos.

Detroit Red Wings - Signed unrestricted free agent forward Kent McDonnell.

Florida Panthers - Sign centre Chris Gratton; re-sign left winger Niklas Hagman.

Los Angeles Kings - Signed restricted free agent forward Alexander Frolov and unrestricted free agent forward Valeri Bure. Signed forwards Jeff Giuliano and George Parros.

Montreal Canadiens - Re-signed restricted free agent forward Jan Bulis.

New York Islanders - Signed unrestricted free agent defenceman Allan Rourke.

New Jersey Devils - Signed forwards Jason Ryznar, Barry Tallackson and David Clarkson and goaltender Frank Doyle.

Ottawa Senators - Re-signed restricted free agent defenceman Anton Volchenkov to a two-year contract and restricted free agent centres Jason Spezza and Antoine Vermette, restricted free agent right wing Chris Neil and restricted free agent defenceman Christoph Schubert to one-year contracts.

Pittsburgh Penguins - Re-signed restricted free agent forward Colby Armstrong.

St. Louis Blues - Re-signed restricted free agent forward Ryan Johnson and defenceman Trevor Byrne, re-signed defenseman Mike Stuart and right wings Mark Rycroft and Mike Glumac.

Toronto Maple Leafs - Signed restricted free agent forwards Nik Antropov and Clark Wilm. Signed forwards Roman Kukumberg and Mike Hoffman.

Washington Capitals - Acquired defenceman Bryan Muir from the Los Angeles Kings for future considerations, signed defenceman Jamie Heward, forwards Boyd Kane, Matt Pettinger and Louis Robitaille.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
One transaction for Saturday, August 13th

New York Islanders - Signed restricted free agents Mike York and Trent Hunter, avoiding arbitration with both forwards.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads