Nights Black Agents - Interest check

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Cool. Just to reiterate, the bubbles mark Abilities that you may be able to refresh (ie get more points back) during play. Don't worry about that too much right now, but holler if you start to run out of points.

The triangle marks your MOS. This is a skill that you're better at than anyone else. Once per game, you can choose to succeed in this with no roll required, and you'll probably succeed spectacularly. If something is too important to fail at, use your MOS!

And I haven't done any PbP gaming in about 5 years, so no worries. It's one of the reasons this is a single, discrete encounter. :D

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
The triangle marks your MOS. This is a skill that you're better at than anyone else. Once per game, you can choose to succeed in this with no roll required, and you'll probably succeed spectacularly.

Right - the purpose of the triangle is to draw a checkmark in when you've used your once-per-session success. That it helps identify the MOS is a fortuitous bonus.

The other thread awaits you! Jump in and tell me what you want to do. I also think Hypersmurf is taking Gabriella.

Hell yeah :D

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
From the IC thread:
Piratecat said:
If you had decided to shoot anyways, you'd just roll a d6 and add nothing. If someone has Trust in you, and is in touch with you, they can also give you 1 point of Trust on a roll.

We had a chat about this the other day - I think it's still backwards.

It's not if someone trusts duBois that duBois can benefit from their assistance on his roll; it's if duBois trusts them.

Let's take the extreme hypothetical examples, Aaron the fickle, backstabbing, evil assassin, whose allegiance shifts any time he senses advantage; and Bob the steadfast, principled, loyal (but savvy) Defender of the Right.

Somehow, these two have wound up working a job together.

Aaron has 3 points of Trust in Bob - he knows that Bob will absolutely be there if he's in trouble, that he will stick to his word, etc, etc. Bob, however, has no points of Trust in Aaron. He wouldn't believe Aaron if he said the sun was going to rise in the east, without confirmation from an independent source.

In the course of the mission, they end up pinned down by bad guys behind some cover. One of them needs to move to a flanking position to set up a crossfire.

Scenario 1:
"You go," Aaron says to Bob, slyly. "I'll cover you. It's okay, I Trust you!"

Question 1: Is Bob reassured by that statement?

Scenario 2:
"You go," Bob says to Aaron, frankly. "I'll cover you. You Trust me, right?"

Question 2: Is Aaron reassured by that statement?

------

My read of the rules indicates that Scenario 2 is how it works mechanically - Aaron has allocated three points of Trust in Bob, and Bob can spend Aaron's Trust in him to add to one of Aaron's rolls.

Bob has no trust in Aaron, so even though Aaron trusts Bob completely, Aaron cannot spend any of Bob's Trust to assist Bob, because there isn't any to spend.

-Hyp.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Incidentally, Hyp is right about how trust works -- but it's completely unintuitive to me, so I don't run it that way. It works anyway, is I figure is a sign of a robust game system. :)

Remove ads