Level Up (A5E) Ninjas in A5e

If EN Publishing or a 3pp were to create a Ninja Archetype for Level Up: A5e, which class should this archetype belong to? Adept or Rogue? Or would it better off as a multiclass archetype of the two? Or three if you threw in the upcoming Elementalist class from MoAR: Complete just so you can role-play something straight out of Naruto. ;)

Pedantic

Legend
If EN Publishing or a 3pp were to create a Ninja Archetype for Level Up: A5e, which class should this archetype belong to? Adept or Rogue? Or would it better off as a multiclass archetype of the two? Or three if you threw in the upcoming Elementalist class from MoAR: Complete just so you can role-play something straight out of Naruto. ;)
Honestly, you get pretty close using the Nightstalker/Subtly Skilled/Night Master synergy feat line, including exertion based casting of a bunch of spells by the end.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Honestly, you get pretty close using the Nightstalker/Subtly Skilled/Night Master synergy feat line, including exertion based casting of a bunch of spells by the end.
Should all ninjas be spellcasters though? It certainly doesn't fall into their core archetype.

Should all ninjas be spellcasters though? It certainly doesn't fall into their core archetype.
It probably depends on what that core archetype is going to look like. Is it going to hew closely to how ninjas were portrayed in RL? Or are they going to be like the ninjas seen in various anime like Naruto?

Micah Sweet

It probably depends on what that core archetype is going to look like. Is it going to hew closely to how ninjas were portrayed in RL? Or are they going to be like the ninjas seen in various anime like Naruto?
Do ninja cast spells in Naruto? I'm specifically talking about spells here, not magic or the supernatural in general.

le Redoutable

Ich bin El Glouglou :)
Basically, ninjas are spies/thieves/acrobats
Then add a spellcasting class, and you're 4/5 done ( if you can withstand a pentaclass system lol )

Do ninja cast spells in Naruto? I'm specifically talking about spells here, not magic or the supernatural in general.
IMO I would have to say that the ninja in the Naruto anime do cast spells because they do rely spell components much like a wizard does. Their spells or Jutsu (as they are called in the anime) do require a Somatic component and a Verbal component. The former takes the form of Hand Seal Each of these basic hand seals are modeled after the 12 animals of the Eastern Zodiac. There are other hand seals besides these 12 in the anime. As for the latter, it often takes the name of the elemental style (Wind Style, Water Style, etc.) and the name of the Jutsu itself. "Water Style, Water Dragon Jutsu!"

Their Jutsu doesn't rely on a Material component. Instead they're powered by Chakra (or Ki), which is a mix of physical energy and spiritual energy generated by a ninja. It comes three different varieties- Ninjutsu (Ninja Techniques), Genjutsu (Mind Techniques) and Taijitsu (Body Techniques)

Naruto: Shinobi (5e Class) - D&D Wiki Check out this homebrew for 5e.

Micah Sweet

IMO I would have to say that the ninja in the Naruto anime do cast spells because they do rely spell components much like a wizard does. Their spells or Jutsu (as they are called in the anime) do require a Somatic component and a Verbal component. The former takes the form of Hand Seal Each of these basic hand seals are modeled after the 12 animals of the Eastern Zodiac. There are other hand seals besides these 12 in the anime. As for the latter, it often takes the name of the elemental style (Wind Style, Water Style, etc.) and the name of the Jutsu itself. "Water Style, Water Dragon Jutsu!"

Their Jutsu doesn't rely on a Material component. Instead they're powered by Chakra (or Ki), which is a mix of physical energy and spiritual energy generated by a ninja. It comes three different varieties- Ninjutsu (Ninja Techniques), Genjutsu (Mind Techniques) and Taijitsu (Body Techniques)

Naruto: Shinobi (5e Class) - D&D Wiki Check out this homebrew for 5e.
Ok. I'm not familiar with Naruto, so its not my go-to image for ninja. For me, it's one part OA, one part Snake-Eyes and Storm Shadow. More stealth, combat and mystic tricks, less wiggling fingers and throwing stuff from your spice rack at people.

Remove ads