Level Up (A5E) Ninjas in A5e

I think the more fruitful question @Corinnguard may be circling is which adept and rogue archetypes go best with the Nightstalker synergy feat tree. ;)
Pretty much. ;) I like the idea of the synergy feat chain giving your multiclass character some benefits that make up for multiclassing's biggest drawback ( your class/subclass features being pushed back a couple levels). But they leave me wondering as to which archetypes (5e or A5e) would work well with any of them. When Pedantic brought up the Nightstalker feat chain, I took a look at it, and then I looked at which A5e archetypes go best with it. The Rogue's Shadow Stalker | Level Up archetype would definitely work IMO. I picked the Adept's Warrior Monk | Level Up archetype but I am not sure it's the right fit.

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
Pretty much. ;) I like the idea of the synergy feat chain giving your multiclass character some benefits that make up for multiclassing's biggest drawback ( your class/subclass features being pushed back a couple levels). But they leave me wondering as to which archetypes (5e or A5e) would work well with any of them. When Pedantic brought up the Nightstalker feat chain, I took a look at it, and then I looked at which A5e archetypes go best with it. The Rogue's Shadow Stalker | Level Up archetype would definitely work IMO. I picked the Adept's Warrior Monk | Level Up archetype but I am not sure it's the right fit.
There's more customizing to get to yet—the combat maneuvers you pick, as well as the explore-y class features, can bring the last bits of definition you're looking for I bet. As for other options like Pedantic mentioned Exalted Athlete is solid, and I could even see Trapsmith working out to be a fun take on it (or Investigator). What'd be REALLY dope is getting your entire party into the action as a team of ninja.
Except for the ratling with a few bard levels to dole out some healing, obviously.
1688933689931.png

WanderingMystic

Adventurer
So after thinking about it I believe that Pendantic is right that Athlete is a better fit than warrior monk.

With that in mind continuing my build I would spend lvls 9 and 10 picking up my 5th and 6th level in adept for the second attack and the bonus to athletics. This also changed your unarmed into a d6. I don't think I would spend any more levels in adept. Getting to 11th level in rogue which would be at level 17 is going to grab you a few rather nice abilities from Shadow Stalker, bring your backstab to 6d6.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Watching the video and hearing the guy talk about his studies and experiences with ninjutsu...

I earnestly feel like Ninja should just be Rogues that learn to Sneak Attack with Versatile Weapons held in both hands.

He talks about the katana, the spear, the kusari gama, all as two-handed weapons and stresses that ninja did not dual-wield. It would kinda "Put all your damage eggs in one basket" to not dual-wield for the off-hand sneak attack opportunity, but also encourage way more Cunning Action use for Dodge/Disengage, which would track with his statements on ninjutsu being a 'special art for survival'.

Add in some climb speeds, the ability to run across branches and rooftops more effectively, some ambush traits... And then let 'em focus on Biting Zephyr and Mist and Shade.

... guess I need to put these ninjas into Martial Artistry, huh?

There's more customizing to get to yet—the combat maneuvers you pick, as well as the explore-y class features, can bring the last bits of definition you're looking for I bet. As for other options like Pedantic mentioned Exalted Athlete is solid, and I could even see Trapsmith working out to be a fun take on it (or Investigator). What'd be REALLY dope is getting your entire party into the action as a team of ninja.
Except for the ratling with a few bard levels to dole out some healing, obviously.
View attachment 289715
Level Up on the Half-Shell? ;)

Last edited:

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
Well they'd all be rogue (<something>)/adept (<something>) to get on the synergy feat tree. Those generally sound good, though I dunno if I'd take Mikey away from rogue levels he seems too chill for a third class (maybe a herald of Pizza but otherwise nah; after all, he is known for saying "righteous").

Adept (Exalted Athlete)/ Rogue (Ninja)/ +Artificer (Machinist) for Donatello, Berserker (Rager) for Raphael, Marshall or O5e's Fighter (Samurai) for Leonardo. Hmm...if Samurai was an A5e subclass, would it be a Fighter subclass or a Marshall subclass? As for Mikey, you might be right. None of the A5e subclasses scream Mikey! 😋 What about one of the O5e subclasses for him?

Remove ads