• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Nitpick: Portable Document Format Format

Elephant

First Post
From the news page:

"Goodman Games has released Dungeon Crawl Classics #13: Crypt of the Devil Lich in PDF format. This 96-page adventure priced at $14.99 is designed for 15th level characters."

Why doesn't anyone ever think about what the letters in an acronym MEAN? It's so annoying to see stupid redundancies added to something designed as a shortcut.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Worst. Rant. Ever.

Why people are worried about this while millions of people are out there misusing "its" and "it's", I'll never know.

Last edited:

Asmor

First Post
Hey, you can't let the small fish escape just because there are bigger fish...

FWIW, I think that this is slightly more annoying... The whole lack of an apostrophe in the possessive form of it is really counter-intuitive and arbitrary, so it's at least understandable when people do it wrong. Hell, every time I type its, I'm afraid someone's gonna falsely point out that I didn't use an apostrophe. Granted, it would be embarassing for them and not for me, but it's still a fear I have. ^_^

cybertalus

First Post
I didn't notice the instance on today's News Page (was too busy trying to remember if previous Dungeon Crawl Classics were print-only and if this was a shift in publication method), although these sort of things bother me sometimes too. In particular trucks which say "FedEx Express". Umm, do the folks who decided what to paint on the trucks not know the full name of their own company?

Oh, and Piratecat, I can forgive "it's" and "its". For every other word I can think of in English which doesn't end in an s, adding 's is the way to make it possessive. When Hasbro releases the next edition of English I hope they correct this problem by requiring contractions to use a different symbol where the omitted letters should go, thus freeing up "it's" for the possessive use. Of course doing so will require everyone to replace all of their books, because this tiny change will make the new English rules completely incompatible with the old ones.

FireLance

Legend
cybertalus said:
I didn't notice the instance on today's News Page (was too busy trying to remember if previous Dungeon Crawl Classics were print-only and if this was a shift in publication method), although these sort of things bother me sometimes too. In particular trucks which say "FedEx Express". Umm, do the folks who decided what to paint on the trucks not know the full name of their own company?
Well, it may not be redundant if "Express" is the service or mode of delivery and "FedEx" is the trade mark. It would be no different from "DHL Express" or "Kentucky Fried Chicken chicken" (to distinguish it from home-made fried chicken, for example).

When Hasbro releases the next edition of English I hope they correct this problem by requiring contractions to use a different symbol where the omitted letters should go, thus freeing up "it's" for the possessive use. Of course doing so will require everyone to replace all of their books, because this tiny change will make the new English rules completely incompatible with the old ones.
You don't need to replace all your books if you don't want to. You can just download the conversion document and the English 3.5 SRD. As long as the people you're communicating with can understand you, it doesn't matter which version of English you're using. :p

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads