• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Nitpick: Portable Document Format Format

FireLance

Legend
Staffan said:
I don't know if it's as prevalent in English as it is in Swedish, but over here I often hear people talk about "CD-skivor" - "CD discs" in English.
In English, some people talk about "Mount Fujiyama" ("yama" means "mountain" in Japanese) and "the hoi polloi" ("hoi polloi" means "the many" in Greek, I think).

cybertalus

First Post
FireLance said:
John, while Mary had had "had", had had "had had". "Had had" had had a better impression on the judges.
FireLance, my editor has run away screaming in pain and mumbling something about how he hates you. I, however, feel nothing but gratitude because this is the first time in years that he's shut up.

This whole thread serves to support this idea I've had for a while that, at least for English speakers, as soon as something becomes a name the meaning of it is rarely parsed unless the reader is given some sort of reminder to do so. How many people live in places with names like "Fairview", "Crooked Oak Circle", or "Hillcrest" and never stop to think what those names actually mean?

(And johnsemlak, thanks for the info about release format for the DCCs.)

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
John, I think "released as a PDF" (or "released as a PDF document", even) is a fine way to express those notions. But then I think "in PDF format" is NOT a capital crime, so you may not want to pay any attention to me.

Blue_Kryptonite

First Post
FireLance said:
In English, some people talk about "Mount Fujiyama" ("yama" means "mountain" in Japanese)

My related favourite: I live downstate from Niagara Falls, NY. Niagara means "Big Falls". So every year, many people honeymoon in Big Falls Falls.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads