• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

No 4E Fan Content Allowed on the Intenet?

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
Yeah, I personally think that they would rather ignore most people and go after the flagrant violators, rather than have a very liberal policy and then have people try to find loopholes and use that policy against them.

Legally, that's the best way to handle things.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
It looks to me like they are making a point of saying that they don't authorize it. That way they clearly have protected their rights.

And, certainly, they would prefer that people use the GSL over just posting fan content.

But nothing seems to say they are going to oppose fan sites. But if someone tries to abuse it, they can't pretend to be surprised if they are stopped.

I agree with this assessment. It would seem that again, the key is to not make a profit off of their IP. If your site talks about 4e, or has anything that will drive people towards using it, that's free advertising for WotC.*

*Theoretically, based on whether there's a fresh pot of coffee in the morning or not.

Blue Sky

Explorer
This seems less like "No Fan Content!" and more like "We're not allowed to say 'Who cares what you post on your webpage?' Nope, definately not allowed to say 'Do what you want.'"

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
This is not new information, though I was surprised at the wording of the post as well. The wording of all their documents, since 4e was released has implied that anything posted, using anything official 4e, was unauthorized and possibly illegal, unless you're working, licensed, under the GSL.

I have had an open ticket with Wizards Customer Support since September 28th, asking them to clarify their position on the Monster Builder specifically. According to their EULA, at least it seems, you are not allowed to post, or distribute, in any form, any Monsters built with the Monster Builder.

Even though there are two export options, and theoretically a third on the way, and members of the official Wizards Community, were encouraging people to post Monsters there.

I have received two updates, since sending in this request. The first informed me that they were escalating the request and I would have a response within 48 hours. The second told me they were still looking into it. It has been 11 days since Ive had a response.

This is only after the question went unanswered for 2-3 weeks on their official community.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
It would seem that again, the key is to not make a profit off of their IP.

Several free sites have received cease and desist letters and threats of lawsuits. I believe that they all had some interactive component, like card/character makers, IIRC.

The Little Raven

First Post
Several free sites have received cease and desist letters and threats of lawsuits. I believe that they all had some interactive component, like card/character makers, IIRC.

I know one of them was giving its users the full text of skills, feats, powers, classes, and whatnot built into the site, as well as having stuff that was not covered by the GSL's SRD.

Jasperak

Adventurer

Nothing shows up on the ENWorld news page. Can you provide links?

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Nothing shows up on the ENWorld news page. Can you provide links?

Those were in the General Forum at various times over the last year. I don't recall if they were ever covered on the news page. You might do a site search of the General Forum to find out more.

Wasn't that an Italian or Spanish site several months ago that had a card builder application?

That might have been one of them but at least two were American (or English) sites, anyway.

Remove ads