• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

No 4E Fan Content Allowed on the Intenet?

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com

http://www.enworld.org/forum/news/266594-friday-16-october-2009-a.html

EN World News said:
Statement from Wizards of the Coast Regarding Fansite Toolkit Two statements from WotC regarding D&D fan sites, the GSL and the Fansite Toolkit. The first indicates that WotC would storngly encourage folks to use the graphics provided in the toolkit and then be bound by the fan site policy. The second appears to indicate that WotC does not "authorise" actual 4E game content on the web at all.

Critical Hits » Statement from Wizards of the Coast Regarding Fansite Toolkit

Seems like a bad time to be bringing the hammer out. Are they unaware that a lot of fans are currently not happy with their general PR and D&D policies?

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
If the 4E books are selling and DDI is doing well, why should WotC care about fan sites?

Edit - Because, honestly, they really haven't shown that they ever have.

The Little Raven

First Post

That's not what they said.

At this time, fans are allowed to use the assets provided in the Fan Site Kit, and they are allowed to create their own RPG material pursuant to the GSL. Anything beyond that is not expressly authorized by Wizards at this time.

You can create new stuff and post it on a fan site as long as it adheres to the GSL. I suspect this is due to some fan sites having subscription services for various features, and thus being viewed as similar to GSL publishers.

This does limit the posting of things based on material not covered in the GSL, such as Domains of Dread, divine domains and their associated mechanics, and non-GSL races/classes.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
That's not what they said.

You can create new stuff and post it on a fan site as long as it adheres to the GSL. I suspect this is due to some fan sites having subscription services for various features, and thus being viewed as similar to GSL publishers.

This would seem to be the case, that you are either a quasi-publisher under the GSL or a fan who cannot post material on the web.

This does limit the posting of things based on material not covered in the GSL, such as Domains of Dread, divine domains and their associated mechanics, and non-GSL races/classes.

To the contrary, that seems to be just what they are driving at, follow the GSL or don't post 4E stuff. I wonder what that does to site like EN World where so many people post fan creations with no thought of the GSL at all?

Azgulor

Adventurer
Are they unaware that a lot of fans are currently not happy with their general PR and D&D policies?

That's nothing but an Internet hoax! Nothing to see here, no siree.

It's almost like watching a bad spoof of a medical drama:

Operating Room scene: "We've stopped the bleeding." <sigh of relief> "Ok, time to patch those self-inficted gunshot wounds up now. Crap, I need a suture kit." <Dr. looks down at still conscious patient> "Hey pal, watch my Desert Eagle why I go get the supplies." <takes safety off and hands weapon to patient> "I'll be right back...

And before I'm flamed with a 1000 "they're within their rights" posts. Yes, I suppose they are. However, just because one can do something, doesn't mean that they should.

I mean seriously, is their an industry award show somewhere that gives out awards for Worst Marketing to a Fan Base? I mean there's gotta be a goal they're shooting for somewhere along the line, right?

Shroomy

Adventurer
I'm shocked, shocked I tell you that when a business is asked for an official response to an official policy that they would dare state that they want you to follow said processes.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Why do I have a feeling his might have been why the Rouse left WoTC?

DAMN YOU KANYE WEST!!*

* I made a Kayne west image of Scott Rouse's fairwell post with Kayne praising Lorraine Williams. Looks like WoTC might agree with Kanye on her merits

so wait,,,your saying unauthrised fan sites are still unautharised???

OK, so what it didn't say "don't do X" just you will be unoffical if you do X...what is the story here??

BryonD

Hero
It looks to me like they are making a point of saying that they don't authorize it. That way they clearly have protected their rights.

And, certainly, they would prefer that people use the GSL over just posting fan content.

But nothing seems to say they are going to oppose fan sites. But if someone tries to abuse it, they can't pretend to be surprised if they are stopped.

Remove ads