• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E No 4E fey?

MrMyth

First Post
Thanks, I believe I understood those points and was respectfully disagreeing. There are many things more deadly than straight physical damage.

And if a pixie isn't the epitome of fey then perhaps they might be defined as Tinafey and they live in the TinaFeywild. Perhaps you'll see a post about just that in the 4E homebrew section tomorrow.

A pixie is an epitome of one aspect of fey - the cute, mischevious kind, more than anything else. But 4E has also focused on other aspects - such as the otherworldly, inhumanly beautiful domains of the high elves (eladrin), or their nightmarish reflections of the darker aspects of folk lore, in the form of fomorians, spriggans and such - or even just the cruel members of the Winter Court.

And it is those aspects, honestly, that have more need for producing stats and background for. Thus, there are plenty such fey in the monster manual, and there are write-ups of fey realms like Mithrendain and adventures set there in the online magazines. We have an umbral sprite swarm to demonstrate exactly how vicious a flock of evil sprites can be, in fact.

Sprites certainly have many more characteristics than the common housecat, and are more interesting than one in general. But how vital are combat stats? I'm not saying they never need a write-up - but can it wait for the Feywild book, or the MM3, or another resource?

I remember an early LFR adventure, Lost Temple of the Fey Gods, which has a nice skill challenge used for interacting with a group of pixies. Getting ahold of that adventure may give some decent guidance on how to portray such interaction, since I assume the goal is to amuse the players and bedevil the characters, rather than focus on armed conflicts with some faeries.

Ryujin

Legend
You want pixies? Traditional pixies? Make them a swarm and give them a poison attack (a hail of tiny arrows) that puts you to sleep on the second failed save. After that they do whatever they want to you. They might let you live, if they feel like it, or they might turn your guts into hammocks.

DracoSuave

First Post
And if a pixie isn't the epitome of fey then perhaps they might be defined as Tinafey and they live in the TinaFeywild. Perhaps you'll see a post about just that in the 4E homebrew section tomorrow.

Actually, if you look at Irish mythology, the typical fey were refered to as 'The Fair Folk' or 'People of Peace' because by calling them a nice name, you hoped they would be nice in return, as opposed to eating your flesh. Such creatures of the Aes Sidhe, included the Bean Sidhe (or banshee) which keened a call to the dying and the dead, and the sluagh sidhe, also spirits of the dead.

Then you have the Leann Sidhe, who drive artists to maddening death;

Redcaps, who would beat to death those that invaded their faerie mounds and dip their hat in their blood;

And Pixies, originally Piskes, who used to steal children...

Yeah. Tinkerbell fits in well with this bunch.

And remember: These are the NICE ones who'd follow Titania and Oberon, who weren't actively malevolent.

Then you get to the Unseelie court...

MarauderX

Explorer
If your players are not going to attack them, then they don't need stats. This applies to anything in the game. Dealing with pixies et al could easily be handwaved as a skill challenge otherwise.

If you absolutely, positively need combat stats for pixies, here:
I absolutely, positively need combat stats, which started this thread. Thank you!

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
(Re: Fey) They don't list housecats either. I think they fall into that category.
Ahem. Tressym.

celine_by_tierafoxglove.jpg

tressym_forweb.jpg

Remove ads