D&D 5E No charge action in 5E?

I know there's the feat (Charger), but other than that, does 5E not have a distinct action for charging? In other words, is "charging" exactly the same as a vanilla "move in then attack"? Just wondering.

Shiroiken

Legend
"Charging" is really just running up and attacking. It never had it's own action until 3E, and then people just looked for ways to abuse it, IME. During the playtest they toyed around with different Charge actions, but it was revealed that it just doesn't add anything worthwhile to the game. If you feel the need to add one as the DM, I'd suggest the last one I saw in the playtest:

Charge: Move up to half your move speed, then make a single attack (this is not an Attack Action).

Since this isn't the Attack Action, you don't get additional attacks, and you can't use TWF either. The only real benefit is getting a small speed boost in exchange for any additional attacks you might have.

Noted. Thanks for the info, team.
[MENTION=2629]jgsugden[/MENTION]: I don't recall reading any such thing, but if you do find something, lemme know!

S

Sunseeker

As far as I'm aware, there is no "charge" Action (note capital A). You may move up to your speed and make any number of attacks that you are able and the Charger feat specifically amends the rules for Dash, which is about as close as you can get.

I would propose a variant to Shiroiken's suggestion: As an Attack Action, you may move up to half your speed and make a single melee attack.

Henry

Autoexreginated
"Charging" is really just running up and attacking. It never had it's own action until 3E, and then people just looked for ways to abuse it, IME. During the playtest they toyed around with different Charge actions, but it was revealed that it just doesn't add anything worthwhile to the game. If you feel the need to add one as the DM, I'd suggest the last one I saw in the playtest:

Charge: Move up to half your move speed, then make a single attack (this is not an Attack Action).

Since this isn't the Attack Action, you don't get additional attacks, and you can't use TWF either. The only real benefit is getting a small speed boost in exchange for any additional attacks you might have.

Actually, AD&D did (see the ADDICT combat rules clarification for AD&D 1e at http://knights-n-knaves.com/dmprata/ADDICT.pdf) and it even gave a +2 to hit, same as 3e, it was just a bit more complex.

Larac

First Post
The way Movement works not really needed any more.

You can move any amount Attack and Move the rest, or Move it all and Attack.

Now if you miss the rule add:

Charge

Action

You Charge in a straight line towards your Target, gaining speed to deliver extra Damage.
This attack lowers your defense until the start of your next turn.

Charge +0 Attack, +2 or maybe +1d4 Damage, AC reduced by 1

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases