(No longer recruiting) Sidewinder:Recoiled- Babylon on the Brazos

Express2.0

First Post
EDIT: Following Herobizkit's great advice below, I broke down and got Sidewinder:Recoiled in my pursuit to run a Wild West game.

Although now a pdf, it was as good as I remember.

Therefore, I'd like to run a Sidewinder game. I'll do it with as few as two players. The game will be a fairly "realistic" horse opera set in the area of Fort Griffith Texas, circa 1876.

I mean realistic in the sense of a movie western. There will be not too great of an adherence to historical accuracy in regards to precise local geography or history as it happened in and about North Central Texas, but like most westerns, we will keep the spirit if not the letter of the era in order to have a enjoyable adventure.

For maps of the "Flats, the lawless town outside of Fort Griffin and surrounding area go to Dog house rules games and download "Snakebites III and IV" (which are free dl's.)

Char gen should use a standard point buy per d20 modern, level 1 PCs and use Sidewinder for the rest of creation. We will use the cold hard cash option for wealth. Please link to Invisible Castle for pertinent rolls if necessary.

Weapons should be period, that is should not date after 1876.

Feel free to pose questions, complaints, etc...

Last edited:

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I've been playin' me some Red Dead Revolution, and I has a hankerin' for some Weird West shenanigans.

I STRONGLY suggest you track down Sidewinder: Recoiled for a look-see - it was the perfect non-F/X Western supplement I've seen for d20. Sadly, it went out-of-print, and I'm still kicking myself for selling it. You might still be able to purchase the pdf here.

Last edited:

Express2.0

First Post
I actually read Sidewinder a few years back but never bought it.

I'm really only using d20 modern/past because of its accessibility to most everyone. If I had my druthers I run a 2E Boot Hill game.

I am actually open to suggestions and what system people have. I would like to do a more "realistic" (albeit mythic) Western, but I'm open to other systems like Savage Worlds.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Well, I'd be remiss not to join. ;) Sign me up, partner.

I reckon I done found the pdf on my hard drive. Solid.

Last edited:

Express2.0

First Post
Great! Maybe we can rustle up some more players. I'll post a "what everybody knows about Ft. Griffin" kind of post later, but can't wait to see the PCs.

Express2.0

First Post
What everyone knows about Fort Griffin

The old coot looked at you with a squint eye, taking his gaze off of a pile of buffalo bones he was packing into a buckboard.

"Fort Griffin? Yep, wide awake town. Goes all night and all day. Tho' I reckon best be careful if ya go there and youre a tinhorn."

The old man spit dark tobacco juice onto the ground through rotten teeth before continuing. "Yep, Fort Griffin-- a Promised Land for a man good at cards or fast with the gun. Buffalo hunters come and go from the Flats now that the Comanch and Kiowa been properly chastised. And all the big cattle outfits stop at Griffith on their way up inta Kansas."

"Not much Law there and just a troop of Yankee horse soldiers nowadays. So the towns pretty much open to folks of the enterprising or villainous mind."

The old man sized you up and after a moments consideration, chuckled, adding:

"Yessiree, the Flats is a regular Sodom, a bare breasted Babylon...but ya ain't gonna find a livelier place for action this side of the Panhandle."

Last edited:

Herobizkit

Adventurer
By the by, you may want to mention that Sidewinder is 100% compatible with d20 Modern/Past. In effect, it's the same game re-flavored for the setting. If you want more players, change your tag to include d20 Modern/Past and advise players of the Sidewinder differences as they occur.

Remove ads