D&D 5E No Magic Shops!

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Thread necromancy!

[MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION], although I disagreed with you at the time that blocking == bullying in the general case, I'll acknowledge that it's a bit different when the blocker also started the thread, so that you can't continue to participate with others in the thread. I didn't quite understand that nuance when you wrote it the first time because it had never happened to me before.

Until now.

("Achievement Unlocked!")

It's especially ironic when it's the result of calling somebody out for bullying.

I'm having that issue now with the "You find a magical______, it does_____" thread. I had a lot of fun in that until one day I couldn't go into it any longer. To add insult to injury, the thread is still going and I keep getting emails reminding me about it.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Yeah, the way blocking functions is bad. I mentioned it to Morrus a couple times that it completely messes with board functionality in unintended ways...he did not seem to be bothered by it. I think if he had to routinely experience it he might be more sympathetic, but ah well.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
It isn't too bad. I've had a few threads that look like there are posts I haven't read but in reality they have been responded to by someone I've blocked. When I notice I just ignore it until it pops up with someone else who I can see.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
It isn't too bad. I've had a few threads that look like there are posts I haven't read but in reality they have been responded to by someone I've blocked. When I notice I just ignore it until it pops up with someone else who I can see.

When you get notice of a quote from someone, and you click on that notice, and it does not take you to the response in question and not even the right page of responses, it can be a serious pain. The notification system breaks down when the blocking. Which makes navigation and some pretty useful functionality mostly useless for very little gain.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I never block/ignore people on any forums, mainly because I don’t want to miss out on important context in a discussion, and partly because I find there’s value in being confronted with opinions that I disagree with, at least in the context of RPG discussion, which is the type of forum I frequent. This is the first forum I’ve been on where I’ve experienced issues of this nature, because when someone else blocks me, I can’t see their posts. It’s bizarre.

One one hand, I get it. If someone blocks me and I can still see what they post but they can’t see what I post, they’re at a disadvantage. I could hypothetically ridicule the things they say without their knowledge. In a perfect world, moderation should prevent that - I ridicule someone, I get an infraction, if I don’t stop doing it, I eventually get banned. But as someone who has experience with forum moderation, I know that the reality isn’t that simple. So from a moderator perspective, it makes sense for blocks to be two-way

From a user experience perspective though, it sucks. Anyone can block me for any reason, and suddenly I’m missing a significant chunk of most conversations, I can’t engage in certain threads at all, and my notifications are all but completely broken. Doesn’t really seem fair. Heck, I’d be fine with not being able to respond to the posts of people who blocked me, if I could just read a conversation without having to treat it like a puzzle with a dozen pieces missing and notifications actually linked me to the proper posts.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
When you get notice of a quote from someone, and you click on that notice, and it does not take you to the response in question and not even the right page of responses, it can be a serious pain. The notification system breaks down when the blocking. Which makes navigation and some pretty useful functionality mostly useless for very little gain.

I guess I've never had a quote from someone I've blocked. If someone's blocked me then I'm not sure if they've gone into the app and quoted me/read my posts, that is something that seems a little weird, you can still see their posts you just need to expand them.

Also, is the bolded sentence incomplete?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I never block/ignore people on any forums, mainly because I don’t want to miss out on important context in a discussion, and partly because I find there’s value in being confronted with opinions that I disagree with, at least in the context of RPG discussion, which is the type of forum I frequent. This is the first forum I’ve been on where I’ve experienced issues of this nature, because when someone else blocks me, I can’t see their posts. It’s bizarre.

One one hand, I get it. If someone blocks me and I can still see what they post but they can’t see what I post, they’re at a disadvantage. I could hypothetically ridicule the things they say without their knowledge. In a perfect world, moderation should prevent that - I ridicule someone, I get an infraction, if I don’t stop doing it, I eventually get banned. But as someone who has experience with forum moderation, I know that the reality isn’t that simple. So from a moderator perspective, it makes sense for blocks to be two-way

From a user experience perspective though, it sucks. Anyone can block me for any reason, and suddenly I’m missing a significant chunk of most conversations, I can’t engage in certain threads at all, and my notifications are all but completely broken. Doesn’t really seem fair. Heck, I’d be fine with not being able to respond to the posts of people who blocked me, if I could just read a conversation without having to treat it like a puzzle with a dozen pieces missing and notifications actually linked me to the proper posts.

I don't block many, but from experience, the ones I have blocked are just people that I'd rather not deal with anyway. One time I went into my blocklist and removed some people from it. Wasn't long before I ended up adding them back onto it. Some people just seem to define the term "toxic". I guess I just wish that people would be nicer, but if they're not, there's the block button.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I guess I've never had a quote from someone I've blocked. If someone's blocked me then I'm not sure if they've gone into the app and quoted me/read my posts, that is something that seems a little weird, you can still see their posts you just need to expand them.

Also, is the bolded sentence incomplete?
No, if your quoted by someone who hasn't blocked you in a thread where someones who have blocked you are active, the link function becomes broken due to the "skipped" posts. In a long thread with msny replies, a quote notification link can land you pages away from the quoted post.

CapnZapp

Legend
Not being able to see posts by people that have blocked you? Fair enough.

Not being able to access entire threads just because they happened to be started by people that have blocked you? Broken as freak - I didn't know we could own threads and decide who gets to see them.

(I duly note that this behavior is likely not consciously set up that way by Morrus and is probably considered a bug in the forum software. Still, it hasn't been fixed or mitigated for years, so that excuse isn't particularly persuasive anymore)

Remove ads