D&D 5E No Magic Shops!

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I guess I've never had a quote from someone I've blocked

I think you misunderstand. It's not a quote from someone you've blocked or who has blocked you. I wasn't exaggerating for effect when I said the entire notification system breaks down for the thread. If you get a quote from ANYONE in a thread which also happens to be a thread where someone has blocked you and posted to that thread, the ENTIRE NOTIFICATION SYSTEM breaks down. When you click on a notice of a quote, from anyone (not someone who has blocked you but anyone) and it also happens that there is someone else who has posted to that thread and who had blocked you, then clicking on the notification no longer brings you to the post that the notification is related to. In fact, it often no longer even brings you to the page related to the notification.

For example, someone in this thread has me blocked (I have no idea who). When you reply to this post, I will get notification of your reply. I will then click on the notice - which if the board were functioning as intended would bring me directly to your reply where you quote me. However, because some unknown person (perhaps long ago) has me on their block list, when I click on the notice about your reply it will no longer bring me to your reply. It likely will not even take me to the page where you replied. I will then have to click around and try and figure out where your reply is located.

And it doesn't end there. It breaks the same for reputation. And it even breaks the same for jumping back to a quoted message! For example, if I click the little icon next to this quote of yours, it's supposed to bring me back up to where you posted that post. It doesn't anymore - it doesn't even take me to the correct page where you made that post anymore. So if I, for example, want to try and retrace a conversation I am having to see if I misunderstood something earlier in the thread by clicking back on someone I've quoted, I can no longer do that if anyone in that entire thread has posted and also has me on their block list.

This is not working as intended. It means someone blocking someone else messes with all other back and forth communication that person has with other people. That's not OK. It's not how the board was built to function.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I thought that way when I first encountered the system, and suddenly couldn't see a bunch of posts on a thread I had started, but then I realized that if someone is unpleasant/insecure/foolish enough to block me, I don't gain anything by talking to them or threads they started. If I'm interested in the topic, I can just start my own thread without 'that idiot' even being able to get onto it, and don't have to feel any obligation to reply to a word they say. If I really want to see what they've written the logout button is easy to use, and when I've tried that I've seen that, nope, I really don't miss their posts.

I’m not talking about what they say. I’m talking about what everyone else says.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
we see that it works great in practice, so I'm good, thank you.

We actually see that it's borked. I don't care if they see me or not. However, I do care if I see them. And the site is borked beyond borked with broken links over this. It doesn't work great in practice at all.

Counterpoint- I disagree, and I laid out my reasons in a much longer section. There is a difference between the following scenarios (to use the analogy):

1. You have a dinner party. Two people start talking about something that doesn't involve the host. TOTALLY FINE!

2. You have a dinner party. Nasty McTrollface, who didn't receive an invitation, crashes the dinner party and refuses to leave. NOT FINE!

That's a False Equivalence. A thread is not the same as a dinner part that they can or cannot invite people to. This site doesn't give people the option to start private threads. If they want to have a private discussion, they should go to some sort of messenger and discuss things there.

Anyway, as I already stated, allowing people to post in threads started by someone that has blocked them may lead to more harassment, completely obviates the purpose of the block, and would completely destroy threads such as the survivor threads I occasionally run.

In practice, blocking is more likely to harm the survivor threads as we have seen when someone who has blocked someone else starts voting and throws off the vote count when they don't see the person they blocked.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
We actually see that it's borked. I don't care if they see me or not. However, I do care if I see them. And the site is borked beyond borked with broken links over this. It doesn't work great in practice at all.

That's a False Equivalence. A thread is not the same as a dinner part that they can or cannot invite people to. This site doesn't give people the option to start private threads. If they want to have a private discussion, they should go to some sort of messenger and discuss things there.

In practice, blocking is more likely to harm the survivor threads as we have seen when someone who has blocked someone else starts voting and throws off the vote count when they don't see the person they blocked.

Actually, this site does give people the option to start private threads with people on their friends list and are we really worried about the survivor threads? They're just a little bit of fun, not exactly riveting discussions about DnD topics, who cares if they get a little thrown off target.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Then they should do that if they don't want people outside of their friends having discussion in the thread.
I guess they'd rather open up threads to everyone who isn't a giant butt. I see nothing wrong with the block function. If you've got on someone's nerves enough to be blocked by them and it's screwed up some threads, well, that's just the way it is. You just have to accept it, deal with it, and move on.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I guess they'd rather open up threads to everyone who isn't a giant butt.

Irrelevant. It doesn't affect the person blocking me one iota if I'm having a discussion with you in a thread that they start.

I see nothing wrong with the block function.

Then you've got blinders on. We've let you know multiple times of multiple ways this site breaks due to the block function.

You just have to accept it, deal with it, and move on.

Or I can not be a quitter and work to change something that is very broken. You can be a quitter if you like, but don't tell me what I do and don't have to accept.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Irrelevant. It doesn't affect the person blocking me one iota if I'm having a discussion with you in a thread that they start.

Then you've got blinders on. We've let you know multiple times of multiple ways this site breaks due to the block function.

Or I can not be a quitter and work to change something that is very broken. You can be a quitter if you like, but don't tell me what I do and don't have to accept.
I dont have blinders on, I've been told how the site breaks, I'm well aware of it. I also don't care. If you want to stress about this then go ahead. For me though, it's such a small thing that I'm just not going to let it concern me. It has nothing to do with being a quitter and everything to do with knowing what is and isn't important in my life, and for me, the block functionality on this site really isn't all that important.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I dont have blinders on, I've been told how the site breaks, I'm well aware of it. I also don't care. If you want to stress about this then go ahead. For me though, it's such a small thing that I'm just not going to let it concern me. It has nothing to do with being a quitter and everything to do with knowing what is and isn't important in my life, and for me, the block functionality on this site really isn't all that important.

Also, while it is a bit borked, the last thing I or many others want is for max to get their way on how to fix it.

My ability to completely block someone from interacting with me in any way is more important than max’s insistence that they should always be able to see the posts of someone that doesn’t want to interact with them.

No. They’ve blocked you, leave them alone.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I guess they'd rather open up threads to everyone who isn't a giant butt.
Way to call everyone who is on anyone’s ignore list for any reason a giant butt.

If I ignored you for this, your notifications would become broken for every thread I post in. You think that’s reasonable?

Remove ads