D&D 5E No Magic Shops!

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Also, while it is a bit borked, the last thing I or many others want is for max to get their way on how to fix it.

My ability to completely block someone from interacting with me in any way is more important than max’s insistence that they should always be able to see the posts of someone that doesn’t want to interact with them.

No. They’ve blocked you, leave them alone.

The being unable to see the posts of people who have you blocked thing is really a pretty minor concern next to the problem of the notification system failing when anyone has you blocked. Like, I’m not super torn up over the fact that I cann’t see Lowkey13’s posts in this thread. But it’s pretty annoying that because Lowkey13 doesn’t want me to see their posts, the notification I will get if you quote me in response to this post will not take me to your response. Lowkey13 isn’t involved in this exchange at all, why should the fact that they don’t want to interact with me negatively impact my ability to interact with you?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Way to call everyone who is on anyone’s ignore list for any reason a giant butt.

If I ignored you for this, your notifications would become broken for every thread I post in. You think that’s reasonable?
I'm fine with it. Also, to someone who has blocked you, maybe you are a giant butt. If you constantly say things that offends or annoys someone to the point that they block you, you don't get to say that's unfair that they've blocked you. Well you can say it, but from their perspective that doesn't make it true.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I'm fine with it. Also, to someone who has blocked you, maybe you are a giant butt. If you constantly say things that offends or annoys someone to the point that they block you, you don't get to say that's unfair that they've blocked you. Well you can say it, but from their perspective that doesn't make it true.

You’re assuming that the only reason anyone blocks anyone is that they’re constantly saying things that offend or annoy them. For example, I acknowledge that my argument style rubs Lowkey13 the wrong way. I’ll own that and accept that, sure, from Lowkey13’s perspective, I’m a jerk. I’ll accept that they don’t want to engage with me, and it’s not unreasonable that I can’t read their posts, except the parts of them other users quote. A little frustrating at times, but I can’t say it’s unfair. What’s not reasonable is that because they feel that way, I can’t interact with anyone else on the forums as conveniently any more. What’s even more unreasonable is the fact that, because 5ekyu didn’t like it when I pointed out that they were being extremely rude to iserith one time, I am similarly inconvenienced.

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I never block/ignore people on any forums, mainly because I don’t want to miss out on important context in a discussion, and partly because I find there’s value in being confronted with opinions that I disagree with ...
This; and ditto from here. Sooner or later everyone has something worthwhile to say...only sometimes it takes a bit of waiting for.

Last edited:

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
This; and ditto from here. Sooner or later everyone has something worthwhile to say...only sometimes it takes a bit of waiting for.
Sometimes, from some people, I don't think it's worth the wait. The handful of people on my block list never seemed to have anything good to say and in the end, I just got tired of reading their posts so I used the one function that lets me never have to worry about them again. The block function has worked great for me, shame it hasn't for others.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Also, while it is a bit borked, the last thing I or many others want is for max to get their way on how to fix it.

My ability to completely block someone from interacting with me in any way is more important than max’s insistence that they should always be able to see the posts of someone that doesn’t want to interact with them.

No. They’ve blocked you, leave them alone.

This badly misstates what I have been saying. Do I like not being able to see their posts? No. It's the least of my concerns, though. The rest being the myriad of problems that come along with it. Your ability to keep me from quoting you, which is a very, very minor interaction is not more important than screwing with my ability to interact with everyone else. One is less than many.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus

But I do get to say that it's unfair that they forced me to block them. I also get to say that it's unfair that my ability to interact with everyone else on this site is compromised because they forced me to block them.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
People, nobody here is suggesting that they get rid of the ignore feature. We are suggesting that they enact the ignore feature that other places use, and that they used before this misguided change. Make it so that the person putting me on ignore doesn't get to see my posts. That is plenty sufficient. Other than a very, very few people who will be asshats, nothing is going to be a major problem, and people report the posts of those sorts of asshats, so Morris, Umbran and Danny won't have to be everywhere.

There is nothing wrong with my participating with someone else in a thread that someone who blocked me started. Nothing at all. The forum would still be a fun place for fellow gamers of all ages to congregate and share information, stories, and have a good time. It hurts nobody to allow that. It does, however, hurt everyone blocking or blocked by someone else to keep it so that we cannot enter those thread or see the posts of those who use the ignore feature.

Remove ads