• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General No More "Humans in Funny Hats": Racial Mechanics Should Determine Racial Cultures

Faolyn

(she/her)
Literally not what I said, but hilariously on brand for you to pick the least charitable view of anything I've said.

I repeat, it can be anything. Warm and fuzzy large yeti that just wants hugs, hungry yeti, or shy yeti like in Bigfoot.

I dont care, just pick one, and then I'll work on it if I need to.

Reading on further, its just repeated intentional miscommunication of my position, but again, not surprising.
The point is the same: you want one thing. You're upset that they're not giving you the one thing, but instead giving you multiple things to choose from. Because apparently choosing a thing or rolling on the behavior table is somehow bad or too much effort.

Lyxen

Great Old One
I think the problem with that is that too many fans, "classic fantasy" with an defined core and canon lore with proper nouns... doesn't.... make sense.

You kinda need the background of official settings and their lore to make most fantasy tropes work. It's one of the walls 5e ran into as it pulled in many many new fans who didn't have history with D&D.

Uh, no, 5e did not run into any walls. It's by far the most successful TTRPG ever and has influence beyond the wildest expectations of any fan. WotC negotiated the turn well, managed not to piss off most old timers and seduce so many new gamers.

What D&D needs to do is sit down an build a new setting from scratch which entwines the new game design ideas and ideals developed over the last 30 years and stop trying to sell repackaged old product.

This is your opinion, but while I agree that I would certainly like that, and while I agree that Eberron was a fantastic completely new setting with new ideas, I'm not sure that is really needed as they are doing great without it, and any new setting might be really polarising, whereas it's much easier to feel the water around old settings.

There is a french saying that it's in the oldest pots that you make the best soups... :)

Scribe

Legend
The point is the same: you want one thing. You're upset that they're not giving you the one thing, but instead giving you multiple things to choose from. Because apparently choosing a thing or rolling on the behavior table is somehow bad or too much effort.
And yet, you always default to 'oh, he just wants murderhobos'...ok.

Scribe

Legend
Since we're talking about yetis which in O5e are chaotic evil, but aren't in A5e... yes.
We aren't talking about 5e yetis. We aren't even talking about a single stat block.

We are talking about the concept of a defined 'something' vs 'here is a grab bag of options'.

Fundamentally that's it.

Neither approach is objectively right or wrong.

I have a preference, and you cannot seem to accept someone would have a different opinion than you.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Uh, no, 5e did not run into any walls. It's by far the most successful TTRPG ever and has influence beyond the wildest expectations of any fan. WotC negotiated the turn well, managed not to piss off most old timers and seduce so many new gamers.

Being successful doesn't mean you made no mistakes nor reached your full potential.

5th is the most edition but there were only 6 of them and 5th is litterally dealing with the largest population any edition had as potential customers. 5e sold classics and old in-house IP. This meant it was limiting itself and thus created a wall for itself in one direction.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Could have fooled decades of marketing, campaign settings and the game's actual ruleset.

D&D sells itself as generic and wraps itself in a robe of it.

But D&D is not generic fantasy. It has many weird tropes found nowhere else in high rungs of popularity. The way D&D does dragons and magic are anomalies in the genre.

Faolyn

(she/her)
We aren't talking about 5e yetis. We aren't even talking about a single stat block.

We are talking about the concept of a defined 'something' vs 'here is a grab bag of options'.

Fundamentally that's it.

Neither approach is objectively right or wrong.

I have a preference, and you cannot seem to accept someone would have a different opinion than you.
I can say the same about you, because you consistently talk down about other options, saying things like they're bland or have been only done to avoid "offending" others, rather than accepting that the other options have positive benefits you just don't like.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads