No multiclassing penalties?

Should there be multiclassing penalties?

• Yes, multiclassing penalties are an important balancing factor

Votes: 68 20.9%
  • No, even without multiclassing penalties it would be balanced.

Votes: 236 72.6%
  • Other (state below)

Votes: 21 6.5%

icedrake

Explorer
I think you could drop them from your game without much issue. Most people in my group don't go mutliclassing silly so its not much of a problem. Just be careful with PrCs rather than base classes, you want to talk with your players to see what they invision for their character and come up with a compromised solution to bring that vision to life using the rule set.

Voadam

Legend
In my Wildwood game I dropped multiclassing penalties.

I did not beef up humans to compensate and they are still the most popular PC race, despite not being the default race of the setting or campaign.

Slaved

First Post
Korgoth said:
Oddly, I don't know that many Olympic Gymnast / Fencer / Astrophysicist / Codicologist / Oncologist / Theologians. ;)

In d&d terms this would be something like Rogue 2/Monk 1 with a good int, human, and a penchant for choosing lots of knowledge skills and dexterity skills up to at least 5 ranks? I have actually seen this.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Voted "other" - I'd like to see multi-classing Go Away completely. Need two classes? Play two characters...

Lanefan

Voadam

Legend
I would recommend also adopting multiclass rules to smooth out multiclassing BAB and save progressions using fractions. BAB would then either be poor (.5) medium (.75) or good (1.0) so that a monk1/rogue1/cleric1 has a BAB of +2 (2.25) instead of +0.

Same for saves being either good (2.5 at 1st then .5 at every other level) or poor (+ .333- at every level) This way a fighter/barbarian/ranger has the same fortitude as an equal level barbarian.

This removes a lot of mechanical oddities for multiclassing.

pizzaboy_15

First Post
Other

There shouldn't be any due to the idea that the character can't become as powerful as others of the same classes due to the level difference anyway, let alone due to the loss of 20% of xp for not being the same levels in them all.

Laurel

First Post
I've played a few games now where we did not enforce mult-classing penalties. It really has not seemed to effect the game much. We have not ended up with anyone way over powered due to multiclassing without penalities. And in some casses even without the penalties we have made characters less powerful, as thier skills etc. are spread out. They are no longer the best fighter, since they took that one class of druid. But it was a good character hook that made sense.

tylermalan

First Post
Nail said:
Done.

Multiclassing penalties:
  • Tailor races to specific roles,
  • Restrict excessive multiclassing,
  • Reward fore-thought,
  • Allow PrCs,
  • Encourage higher-level PCs.

I like 'em, and I've kept 'em through all of my games. There's never been a complaint.

NAIL! Always coming through (no pun intended). That's why I like you.

Remove ads