D&D (2024) No new OneDnD encumberance?

M_Natas

Hero
So far that I can see OneDnD playtest has not touched the encumbrance system.

How would you like to see D&D 2024 handle encumbrance? What would you like to see?

-----------------------
The problems with the current system are:

• it is hard to track (having to count every ounce of weight)
  • your carrying capacity is so high that it doesn't matter until you carry lots of stiff (it even says so in the PHB!) - and than it doesn't even say, what happens when you carry to much (only the Variant Rules go into a little detail)
  • ans the only effects are negative
  • the rules don't explain how encumbrance interacts with stuff like Food and Water and other ressources, which means especially beginners only read that the rules actually don't have a lot effect.

So the existing rules are enforcing a lot of book keeping for little to no effect, and all the existing effects are negative.

------------------------------------

What I would like in my encumbrance rules?

• Easy to keep track of.
  • more encumbrance states - in which the lightest one also gives a benefit. So positive and negative effects.
  • easy to enforce without player complaints so they keep track of food, water and other cunsumenables.
  • giving the Illusion of somewhat Realism (like not one size/slot for all items)
  • Benefits if you have no encumbrance

-----------------------------------
Rules Variant I came across:

• just use D&D beyond or Roll20 to count Pounds - that works when you use those and only use Items that are already in the VTT, if you give out lots of homebrew items or mundane items that are not in the system, it breaks down quickly.
  • the rule of cool - if you can explain how your character is carrying all the stuff without the other players starting to laugh it is fine.
  • slot based systems - most of which I find a little to simplifying (like strength score = number of items you can varry)

------------------

So what kind of encumbrance systems would you prefer OneDND to adopt?

Last edited:

Horwath

Legend
So far that I can see OneDnD playtest has not touched the encumbrance system.

How would you like to see D&D 2024 handle encumbrance? What would you like to see?

• the rule of cool - if you can explain how your character is carrying all the stuff without the other players starting to laugh it is fine.

So what kind of encumbrance systems would you prefer OneDND to adopt?
This plus the total amount of weight depending on Str score and size.

it's simple math, just adding numbers.

but, you need to be able to store practically that weight on your person.

few kilos of gold is the same mass as few kilos of feathers, but gold can be store in much smaller and compact carry container.

aco175

Legend
Along with the bonus +2/+1, an extra feat, and darkvision, just give everyone a bag of holding to start off with at this point.

Slightly less snarky and more on point is to provide something to use it or skip it. Same with other book keeping things like food, arrows, spell components, etc... Unless there is a reason to track it, it become tedious and boring. If the adventure is going across the desert, then track food and water, but not in the woods where towns are a couple days apart. If you want to cast resurrection, then you need a 5,000gp gem, but not the feather needed for feather fall.

If something was easy, then maybe have something.

Should halflings be weak-build characters? The new editions have them as not just half the height, but half the width and depth of humans. That makes them 1/8 the size. Does this counter the goliath strong-build, or does the fact that the armor is only 1/8th size make up for it? The weight in the book for armor does not show this though. This new system might also spawn 'mithral' other things so that they are lighter. Maybe bring back masterwork items that are better and lighter.

Reynard

Legend
This is one of those places where dials would help. Some tables want a resource management based exploration game. others want a heroic fantasy action comedy. Provide a dial for equipment, all the way from "your character class and level determine your AC and weapon damage" to "track every iron spike bit of bat guano, you'll need to know when you run out!"

Retreater

Legend
Resource dice from Forbidden Lands would work fine to track mundane equipment (if that is important to the theme of the campaign). Otherwise, I would just eyeball the characters to make sure they're not "weigh" overboard. ;)
"No, you can't keep that 500 pound statue in your backpack!"

Mephista

Adventurer
I do more checks to see if someone can lift something heavy than actually carry it. "Can I grapple and carry this guy?" "Can I pick up this statue or knock over this pillar?"

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah, no indication they have considered changes to encumbrance. Yhe Rules Glossary with each UA is stated to he the full extent of current rule changes: if it isn't mentioned in the moat recent Rules Glossary, then the 2014 rules are being kept.

Remove ads