D&D (2024) No new OneDnD encumberance?

delericho

Legend
This is one of those places where dials would help.
Agreed.

As things stand, 5e has pretty much the worst of all worlds - there's an encumbrance system that is essentially useless, and which takes up the space that a 'good' system could instead fill. So DMs who want to use something better are left fighting against the rules as written, rules which add nothing but hassle.

aco175

Legend
Huh? Why should the GM annoy and troll their table like that?

Are you seriously suggesting that the GM erect an quest checkpoint style wall contingent on forcing the players to collect a deliberately unwieldily sum of coins in order to solve the problem of the bad design on carry capacity when it is compounded with bad design in the many other places involved with lack of PC needs?
That is not what I am suggesting at all. If the DM did this deliberately, then not play his game and leave it behind. The other suggestions is to get money for it without having to figure it out.

If I had that much copper in a hoard it would likely have silver, gold, items, and gems and magic. The players would want the easy-to-carry stuff and leave the copper anyways to figure out later. The PCs would not need the coins, especially if they are at a level to find a hoard this large.

The flaw with 5e in not having anything to spend money on is something we talk about semi-regularly.

Now leaving the copper can have other other avenues for the DM to use. If the PCs wanted to go back and get it bringing horses and wagons and such, there can be adventures made to support running into bandits and tax-collectors and such. Word will likely get out and other adventuring parties or dragons and things would want some and come looking. It is only terrible if the DM made copper the sole treasure to set this up.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
That's the point of the exercise for WAY too many DMs.
No that is the literal design intent of many 5e aspects like those. Rather than leaving a void that the gm could fill with something better designed the system goes to great lengths deeply integrating a subsystem that self nullifies its very reason to exist in any situation other than hostile adversarial gm'ing where suddenly it goes back to having a reason to exist at the cost of the GM getting boxed into w soup crushing style of gameplay.

Since the pointlessness of coin was part of what started this tangent I'll use that as an example. There are systems that don't use numeric values for wealth, wotc even owns one (d20 modern) or more and it works quite decently for a certain gameplay feel.... instead of doing something like that 5e uses the old style coin value for everything and does everything it can to ensure that there is no possible way that it could ever matter in a way that impacts gameplay in any way.

Vaalingrade

Legend
I feel like we're talking past each other.

The million copper pieces, now let's see how you deal with it is the kind of thing I see as trolling the players; part of the same school of thought that desperately needs to interrupt rests with random encounters and is upset at how 'hard' it is to kill characters with infinite dragons and no actual rules.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I feel like we're talking past each other.

The million copper pieces, now let's see how you deal with it is the kind of thing I see as trolling the players; part of the same school of thought that desperately needs to interrupt rests with random encounters and is upset at how 'hard' it is to kill characters with infinite dragons and no actual rules.
I have no idea why you are trying to start a discussion demonizing GMs over a single sentence after stripping it of the context you get from the back & forth leading up to it in 13 17 18 & 20.

Horwath

Legend
Huh? Why should the GM annoy and troll their table like that?

Are you seriously suggesting that the GM erect an quest checkpoint style wall contingent on forcing the players to collect a deliberately unwieldily sum of coins in order to solve the problem of the bad design on carry capacity when it is compounded with bad design in the many other places involved with lack of PC needs?
one of the reasons that I like the ×100 ratio between coin value

1 PP = 100 GP = 10.000 SP = 1.000.000 CP

15 GP for a fullplate. instead of current 1.500 GP

Remove ads