No PvP vs. Stealing loot

The group agrees no PvP & party loot, what taking loot would fall under party vs. party conflict?

• Taking any loot without sharing is PvP.

Votes: 24 51.1%
  • Any the party missed / wouldn't get is okay not to share (random pickpocket, missed hidden, etc.)

Votes: 21 44.7%
  • When the rogue is taking the risk alone, anything is okay (looting while scouting, etc.)

Votes: 12 25.5%
  • Stealing from fallen foes and other group endevours is okay.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Stealing from party members is okay

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other looting options I didn't think of is okay (please explain in comments).

Votes: 4 8.5%

What? No! That's... a very limited view of human interaction.

Let me rephrase to what I intended to write: Do players have an obligation to restrain their actions, (both PC and ‘Real World’), to allow others the opportunity to play/develop their character?

(The question is not just directed at Umbran 😊)

I am also curious, for those that feel the benefits of a Rogue’s, extra curricular activities should be counted as ‘party treasure’, does the same also apply to other Downtime Activities?

Does a character with the Entertainer background keep the gig money, they make for offscreen activity, or is that, also considered ‘Party treasure’?

As a DM, that is, (to me at least), a Player Group decision. My personal attitude is generally the results of offscreen actions are considered ‘Player Gold’.

A PC, riffling through rooms, in an Inn, the adventuring group is taking a long rest in,
is little different than a PC singing in the Inn’s common room, and making some ‘Player Gold’.
Both are just a quick series of rolls, done while other players are picking spells, or using some other minor skill or action during that rest.

Anything found the next day, on the job in the Haunted Manor,(even in secret hidden compartments that only one character finds), is booty, and ‘Party Treasure’.

I am personally fine, playing the game with the safety off, Full PvP. I just insist (as a player and as a DM), that the two Real Life Players talk, before any dice are rolled for the PvP-ery.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Let me rephrase to what I intended to write: Do players have an obligation to restrain their actions, (both PC and ‘Real World’), to allow others the opportunity to play/develop their character?

Okay, the "to allow others..." is throwing me off.

I was speaking in a context of a campaign that was agreed by all parties to be non-PvP - it is part of the table's social contract. You have an obligation to uphold your end of such an agreement.

Now, most of the time I have seen such an agreement, it is not "to allow others the opportunity to play their characters", except in the sense that they have an expectation that you won't remove their character from the game by killing them, or some other nastiness.

I have not seen such a thing implemented for the purposes of, say, making it so the rogue can go out and steal stuff, kill NPCs, and otherwise make themself a public nuisance, and not have repercussions coming from the party. While technically "no-PvP" may do this, that's not why I see it used.

I typically have a separate part of the table agreement for that - you are going to play a character that generally wants/needs to work with others, and will behave accordingly. This covers both the party rogue and the paladin - the rogue will keep their extracurricular activies to a dull roar, and the party paladin will not insist on their expulsion from the party if they do so.

I am also curious, for those that feel the benefits of a Rogue’s, extra curricular activities should be counted as ‘party treasure’, does the same also apply to other Downtime Activities?

Broadly speaking, in terms of being fair to the fellow players, the party has right to the proceeds to extent they were put at risk. It doesn't matter if it is the rogue doing crime, or the wizard making a magical item.

Does a character with the Entertainer background keep the gig money, they make for offscreen activity, or is that, also considered ‘Party treasure’?

Did the Entertainer do a number mocking royalty, so the Duke tossed them in jail and now the party has to bail them out or help them escape?

Last edited:

Did the Entertainer do a number mocking royalty,
If it was me,I probably impugned the reigning monarch’s favorite horse’s parentage as well.

I’ve had my share of antics, blow up in my face, where I have paid penalties and expenses, as called for in the adventuring charter we drew up.

Getting arrested is certainly not ‘Offscreen’...😀

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases