• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E No Roleplaying XP in 4e

D.Shaffer said:
Sure, if they're wildly acting OOC it might be easy to explain, but what about the guy who's TRYING to RP but just isnt very good at it?
If he's trying, that's good enough for me.

Mustrum_Ridcully said:
Some people might say "what a prick, giving out XP for roleplaying? Do I have to convince him that my portrayal of a righteous Paladin is good. Do I have to hunt down every evil being merciless?"
I'm not an acting coach. Determining if someone's roleplaying is "good" or "bad" is not what I'm interested in. I'm only interested in determining if people are committed or not. In my opinion, making a minimal effort to stay in character is more than enough to show commitment.

The Mirrorball Man said:
If he's trying, that's good enough for me.

I'm not an acting coach. Determining if someone's roleplaying is "good" or "bad" is not what I'm interested in. I'm only interested in determining if people are committed or not. In my opinion, making a minimal effort to stay in character is more than enough to show commitment.
Now that you tell me, I know. Before that, I only knew you handed out roleplaying XP. Talking about it helped me understand where you're standing. ;)

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
The Mirrorball Man said:
Tennis is also a leisure activity, but I'd rather play with someone who uses a racquet. I do think that even in RPG, there's a minimal amount of commitment required of everyone. Without that commitment, the game turns into a chat among friends, which is fine in itself, but it is something else.
So, if you were to play tennis with somebody who didn't use a racquet, would you speak with your opponent, and explain why using a racquet is preferrable?

If the person still refuses to play with a racquet, would you still play him and award yourself bonus points because you use one?

Same applies to D&D. Rather than awarding bonus points, explain to the players what your expectation is for your group. If they don't agree that your way of playing is fun, or if their way of playing ruins your enjoyment of the game, agree not to play together.

My old group had eight players. Three that really got into their characters, two that were middle of the road, and three that just were there for the fun of killing things and taking their stuff. Istarted out awarding roleplaying bonuses and what I ended up with was the "kill them and take their stuff" players began to resent that I had my "favorites" and gave them bonuses because I preferred the way they played the game.

It took a little while, but eventually we all understood what everyone wanted from the game. I made some adjustments (mostly in my own expectations), stopped giving roleplaying bonuses and we alll got along fine. The players who weren't into the roleplaying aspect were patient when we got into deeper roleplay with the other players - occasionally they would put a toe in the water and try a little more roleplaying themselves. The ones who were more into roleplaying had no problem when I would try to wrap up some roleplaying scenes a little quicker, or sometimes put them off until another session so we still had time for a good fight before the end of the night.

Thornir Alekeg said:
So, if you were to play tennis with somebody who didn't use a racquet, would you speak with your opponent, and explain why using a racquet is preferrable?
Oh yes, definitely.

I have no problem with explaining to my players what I have in mind. I do it all the time. It's a very good idea, actually. The roleplaying XPs are just there to remind them of that little conversation.

Though honestly, I don't think it's spectacularly unreasonable to expect some roleplaying to occur in a roleplaying game.

See, I know it's a flaw in my character, but if I'm playing ice hockey with my friends and one of them tells me "wow, I love ice hockey but can we get rid of the ice?", I may get a little snarky.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
I’ve seen a lot of games (both in early RPGA and home games) that gave XP for good roleplaying. By good roleplaying do I mean the quality of your character acting? The problem with the roleplaying reward is this: You’re almost always going to give out the maximum to everyone at the table. Why? Because telling someone that they didn’t do a good job of roleplaying in a game where everyone is there to have fun seems overly judgmental, can create hurt feelings, and is...well...just downright crappy. It’s also so very meta and arbitrary that it begs questions about other forms of bonus XP. Why not give similar bonus XP for rule knowledge? Playing well with others? Bringing the most snacks?
Dammit. How many more of these "fixes" am I going to have to house-rule out of 4E before I can play the game I love?

I've been gaming for more than 20 years, almost exclusively as the DM. I always award bonus XP, at least once per game session but sometimes as frequently as every encounter. I award it for many different reasons, but most often, I award it for good roleplaying. I also give XP penalties, but that's another topic. Anyway, I have never observed any of the ill effects described (lack of fun, overly judgmental perceptions, hurt feelings, assessments of crappiness, the begging of stupid questions, etc.) Maybe I'm not doing it right, or maybe I'm just oblivious to the secret pain and suffering of my players, or maybe my games have been "downright crappy" all these years and nobody ever noticed. But to my knowledge, it has never killed anyone's fun or broken any of my games. My players are always happy and excited about game night, have a good time, and give generally positive feedback.

I'm pretty good at deciding what does and does not work at my table. I see no need for this rule at all.

Agamon

Adventurer
I've always found roleplaying to be it's own reward. If I need a carrot for anything, it's roling dice and trying to to translate that into something meaningful.

Family

First Post
AllisterH said:
If my concept is the stron, silent type, do I get bonus XP as well for playing it "correctly"

If my friends saw me playing a silent type, they'd thrown a ticker tape parade, and nominate me for a nobel prize. (so yes).

Remove ads