• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E No update to Basic today?

Cybit

First Post
I really hope it does come up today because I'm running a game tomorrow and if it doesn't then I've just screwed myself, and will have to cancel and probably not get to play for another 3 weeks or so since this took a LOT of string pulling around schedules. It's gonna make me pretty mad since they stated that when the PHB comes out I'll be able to completely run a campaign. They also released the rules when the starter set hit the WPN stores, I don't see how this should be any different. Whatever, I guess we will see in a few hours. /rant

This is where I point out that the actual release date of the PHB is ~two weeks from now? :p

Tormyr

Hero
I really hope it does come up today because I'm running a game tomorrow and if it doesn't then I've just screwed myself, and will have to cancel and probably not get to play for another 3 weeks or so since this took a LOT of string pulling around schedules. It's gonna make me pretty mad since they stated that when the PHB comes out I'll be able to completely run a campaign. They also released the rules when the starter set hit the WPN stores, I don't see how this should be any different. Whatever, I guess we will see in a few hours. /rant
Looking at backup options, do you have a starter set? There are 27 creatures in there that could easily be used as is, reskinned or tweaked; and you can make NPCs using character rules and give them a CR equal to their level.

Tormyr

Hero
This is where I point out that the actual release date of the PHB is ~two weeks from now? :p
Yes, but the indication was that it would be out today. I am not saying they have to do so. I am extremely thankful to be getting 5B in the way they are doing it.

Managing expectations is a difficult thing.

For what it is worth, the initial release of 5B was around 10:00 PDT if I remember correctly. Fingers crossed.

Cybit

First Post
Then I would point out to you that basic came out when WPN got the starter set early. :p

Lol, fair enough.

Honestly it will probably be this afternoon (PST) if it comes out today. WotC usually waits till around noon or so before they release things on the site; they don't have strict work hours IIRC for a given morning.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
Note that it is technically "in early release" from now until the regular street date of August 19th. If they put up a new Basic any time between now and the 19th, they're still according to plan.
That wasn't an exact quote. He said it would be up the same day that the PHB was released, August 8th.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
Lol, fair enough.

Honestly it will probably be this afternoon (PST) if it comes out today. WotC usually waits till around noon or so before they release things on the site; they don't have strict work hours IIRC for a given morning.

Yeah, it's been my experience that they get to work in the morning and then they verify they wait until the person who is in charge of giving the go ahead double checks the file for errors and gives the word. Then it gets posted, tested to make sure it can be downloaded and released.

Since the length of time that those things take can vary...it can pretty much be any time today, but they normally wait until at least 10 am PST.

Boarstorm

First Post
I am hopeful of an update today (the schedule is only going to get tighter moving into GenCon), but I won't REALLY need it for another week or two.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Since the length of time that those things take can vary...it can pretty much be any time today, but they normally wait until at least 10 am PST.

For those who care about such minutiae, that would actually be "PDT" -- we're on Daylight Time right now in the sunny Pacific Northwest, and will be until sometime in November. (This can make a difference to people in other countries, who don't adjust their clocks twice a year.)

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
I don't expect it to come out until late today (which will still be August 8).

This time I'll wait for the Printer-friendly version before I print it.

Remove ads