• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Non-Core Class Survivor: Round 10 - The Top Ten (predict the final 3)

Which class do you want to vote off the list?

• Archivist (Heroes of Horror)

Votes: 18 7.4%
  • Beguiler (Player's Handbook II)

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • Binder (Tome of Magic)

Votes: 29 11.9%
  • Dread Necromancer (Heroes of Horror)

Votes: 50 20.5%
  • Duskblade (Player's Handbook II)

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Knight (Player's Handbook II)

Votes: 41 16.8%
  • Psion (Expanded Psionics Handbook)

Votes: 41 16.8%
  • Psychic Warrior (Expanded Psionics Handbook)

Votes: 19 7.8%
  • Scout (Complete Adventurer)

Votes: 11 4.5%
  • Warlock (Complete Arcane)

Votes: 15 6.1%

• Poll closed .

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Endur said:
The Dread Necromancer is a fantastic class. I'm shocked so many people are voting against it.
There are way too many options for Necromancers in D&D, compared to other classes. We certainly don't need more, and we never needed the Dread Necromancer.

SpiderMonkey

Explorer
Atreides said:
Mr. Knight

Please remove yourself and your Aggro/WoW abilities from my D&D game.

Thank you.

As for the Final Three

Duskblade, Archivist, Scout

This pretty much sums up my feelings about the knight, and why I voted for him.

I'm with the majority who suspects that it'll come down to the duskblade, warlock, and scout. I've read hardly anything but good about these classes on EN World.

I'd like to make a plea for the Binder; don't let obscurity let you dismiss him casually. This class represents some of the more original mechanics and best flavor for a class that I've seen in some time.

This has been a fun series of threads.

Endur

First Post
Jdvn1 said:
There are way too many options for Necromancers in D&D, compared to other classes. We certainly don't need more, and we never needed the Dread Necromancer.

I certainly agree that we have lots of necromantic PRCs, not to mention the possibility of creating a necromancer from the cleric with death domain or wizard with necromantic school specialization.

However, the Dread Necromancer has several very nice advantages. A progression to Lichdom at level 20 (similar to Monk and Druid progression to Outsider status and Timeless body). Access to all Necromantic spells, clerical and wizard and the ability to rebuke/command undead. Increased Undead creation/control through 8th level ability Undead Mastery. Inherent ability to channel negative energy even when you are out of spells (Charnel Touch).

This really does seem like the best Necromancer yet.

What does Dread Necromancer give up? All non-necromantic spells not on the class list. i.e. no teleporting, invisibly, flying, fireballing, lightning bolting, etc. If you want to fly, you better get yourself an undead creature that flies and ride on its back.

p.s. I agree about the Knight ... i.e. the Taunting/Provoking Tanker from City of Heroes

Nifft

Penguin Herder
SpiderMonkey said:
I'd like to make a plea for the Binder; don't let obscurity let you dismiss him casually. This class represents some of the more original mechanics and best flavor for a class that I've seen in some time.

QFT.

The Binder is among the most super-cool things to come out of WotC in the last year. Super, super, super cool. Excellent flavor, good mechanics, nice integration.

I don't think it'll win because there are some classes that are both popular and loved... but hey, who knows.

Cheers, -- N

Nyeshet

First Post
So the pole is closed. I wonder, will only the Dread Necromancer be dropped, or will three classes be dropped (as second place was tied between the Knight and the Psion?

[Edit] Never mind, it seems I have my answer. One down and nine to go. Somehow I'm guessing the Knight or Psion will be next - most likely the Psion considering Malcor Sylverwood's recent remark. Hopefully the Psychic Warrior will outlast the Knight.

I'm voting for Duskblade next time. I simply have trouble understanding / getting the concept, and as I've already stated my preferrences tend to be for more lightly armored higher Dex warriors - especially when magic is also involved. I doubt it will win, but perhaps it will not be among the final three if I can bring more attention to it.

Last edited:

Remove ads