• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Non-D&D /Pathfinder RPGs

Ratskinner

Adventurer
I have to hop in and mention FATE Core. The kickstarter is destroying stretch goal after stretch goal, and the stuff you already get for $30 is mind-boggling, including a downloadable PDF right away. This is the FATE version of the Reaper kickstarter, is what I'm saying. It's also a damn fine non-D&D rpg. :)

-O

Yes it is. To continue the "blurb" part. FATE's strength is story with speed. The mechanics are also simple enough that there are people playing with kids as young as 7. Focusing on story, the new FATE Core version makes it very easy to play in a wide variety of genres. Because of the way the system works, GMs or even individual characters can expand upon different themes with ease. That is, you can fiddle with how much "system" you want in your magic, psionics, or whatever. In fact, the Core game as written can have any or all of that in your game with no modifications. Its only when you really want to make something like "The function of magic items" an important part of what your game or character is exploring that you really need to do much work at all to detail it. When you do have to detail it, its very simple and easy to balance. In fact, FATE is rather hard to knock off-balance accidentally.

FATE's big weakness, IMO, would be fiddly-bit combat. If you're really into moving that mini 3 spaces like so, a detailed action economy, and having 20-odd different codified conditions in your game, FATE is likely not your bag. FATE can get you a get you a combat narrative that looks very much like a 4e combat narrative, but it doesn't do it in nearly the same way. Similarly, if you want to have a finely-detailed snowflake/Christmas tree characters with all manner of tweaks...probably not a good choice. (Unless you'd be satisfied with a character that has "magic item christmas-tree" as an aspect.) FATE characters tend to be painted with fairly broad strokes with some sharper edges where they want their narrative focal point to be.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
OK, a 'big' one - HârnMaster
I dabbled with Hârn quite some time ago,it was probably with the first edition of HârnMaster. Which edition of HârnMaster would you recommend now? Gold, Third? What would you suggest to get started with the setting?

Balesir

Adventurer
I dabbled with Hârn quite some time ago,it was probably with the first edition of HârnMaster. Which edition of HârnMaster would you recommend now? Gold, Third? What would you suggest to get started with the setting?
It really depends what you prefer in terms of systems; 1e HârnMaster was actually a nice, complete system but requires an experienced hand to really use it nowadays. Third is an attempt to simplify and streamline it - how successfully will depend on who you ask! Gold is more "fiddly" but is more of a straight development of HM1 - and is Robin's own viewpoint manifest. The three are actually not all that different - a bit like OD&D, AD&D and AD&D2e, roughly, relative to one another. All have the essential points of the system as far as systems for combat moves, injury, healing and magic are concerned.

For the setting, I would definitely recommend the original "HârnWorld" basic set. I'm not sure if it's still "in print", but picking one up second hand shouldn't be too hard. After that, the free stuff at Lythia.com is a great place to get a taste of the setting! If you want to spend money on it, "Venarive" from Kelestia is a very fine piece of work (full disclosure: I made some contributions to this so am listed in the credits, but the thing as a whole is huge, and my bit quite small!)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads