• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Non-FR Genasi

klofft

Explorer
What have you done with genasi if you have used them in a non-FR campaign?

I have a genasi character coming into a traditional D&D 4e PoL campaign and I'm trying to help with the character's background. I'd like to keep the genasi as an actual race (rather than the genasi character being some sort of unique elemental humanoid), but I'm having a hard time imagining a) a genasi community anywhere near the rolling hills and plains of the area that the campaign begins in or b) genasi being "just regular folks" in the same kind of community.

Any ideas? Anything clever you did with them for your game? Your insights are most appreciated. Thanks!

Klaus

First Post
- Descendant of a genie (2e).
- Born when an elemental plane was close to the Material Plane (Eberron).
- Human with elemental mastery (Avatar: Legend of Aang).
- Bombarded with cosmic rays (Fantastic Four).
- Human born within an area of elemental diffusion where a dragon died (Draconomicon).

And if all else fails:
- A wizard did it.

fba827

Adventurer
maybe it is a thriving race on an elemental plane. but an individual (or a group of any size if you want more running around) came to this plane recently (or long ago if you want them to be settled and familiar) for some reason to do something -- escape? explore? migrate if their own land was getting inhospitable - perhaps for a reason that ultimately ties to some major quest arc the PCs are doing... and so on.

Larrin

Entropic Good
Used in my campaign: Elves/Eladrin/Fey that thrive in the elemental planes and each have a unique tie to one or more elements. This one has fey origins rather than elemental.

An elemental, in the more pure sense of the word, made of purely that element (or elements) with adaptations/requirements to living as a mortal to better experience the world. Perhaps the result of a truce between gods and primordials.

Unwise

Adventurer
I use Genasi most commonly as Djinn of various varieties. I think they really have style, I have always liked Djinn.

If you want them to be terrestrial and a (now) distinct racial group, how about this?

In an area of the world nearby, a primordial almost escaped, but was locked back up by brave heroes.

(optional - Some of the locals had been tampering with elemental powers granted to them from a seemingly benevolent force. They even imbued their bodies with it and their people changed over time)

Although the heroes re-established the seals on the primordials prison, the local population was not left unaffected. Those that did not die initially eventually adapted to the elemental infusions that had ravage their land.

Although they initially banded together to survive, a rift drove the people apart. Some became cultists dedicated to the return of their new primordial master. Others vowed to never see such destruction again and would do all in the power to prevent it.

Now their society has shattered, they live in small clan groups wandering the shattered remains of their homeland.

klofft

Explorer
What type of genasi is the character going to be? Knowing that might spark some ideas.

He's a Stormsoul (heh - you said 'spark').

But even so, like I said above, I'd rather he be seen as a member of a race of genasi, rather than an isolated individual of odd magical origin.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
He's a Stormsoul (heh - you said 'spark').

But even so, like I said above, I'd rather he be seen as a member of a race of genasi, rather than an isolated individual of odd magical origin.

Would you be okay if the only type of genasi in the world were stormsoul genasi? Or did you want to include all types of genasi as part of the genasi race?

I thought the distinction might spar... incite some inspiration. Although it's doing nothing to help my creative block.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Although it's doing nothing to help my creative block.

Nothing but static, huh? ;)

Genasi- really, any Planetouched- could be explained as being throwbacks. As in, once upon a time, beings from other worlds strode the earth, and some left behind some offspring. From time to time, that extraplanar heritage pops up when people have kids.

Perhaps there is an isolated mountain tribe that consists mainly of stormsoul genasi...or his people in the FR live near a magical cave with portals to other planes, and he fell through one and couldn't find his way back.

Last edited:

Remove ads