Non RPG books that are almost systemless RPG Books

Crothian

First Post
I read through a Dystopian teen series called Uglies (a 4 book trilogy). One of the good things about the books was a very well done setting. As I was looking at books at the library I saw the author wrote a book on the setting called Bogus to Bubbly. The books is about perfect for an RPG setting. Of course it has no game rules in there as it was not meant to be that type of book but with a little work and the right system for whatever the group likes it would be a great book to use for an RPG.

I got to thinking what other books like this on fictional settings are so complete they could be their own systemless RPG? Of course there are many books on Star Trek, Star Wars, Buffy, Babylon 5, and Lord of the Rings that one could do that with. But they already have their own RPGs. So, anyone else run across books like this for a fictional setting that you thought could make a great RPG book?

Achan hiArusa

Explorer
The Starbridge series by A.C. Crispin. It is a series of books she wrote or co-wrote and is about the adventures of first-contact diplomatic teams.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Motel-Mysteries-David-Macaulay/dp/0395284252"]Motel of Mysteries[/ame]. It's hardly a complete setting, but it relates in very obvious ways to our world, so it comes pre-equipped with lots of source material. I think it would be a blast to play as an RPG.

Croesus

Adventurer
So, anyone else run across books like this for a fictional setting that you thought could make a great RPG book?

For those who love the Cadfael mysteries by Ellis Peters, The Cadfael Companion: The World of Brother Cadfael is an excellent resource. You could combine it with The Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England and have an very plausible, authentic early medieval campaign.

Dune would make an outstanding campaign setting.

I ran a Champions campaign based on Blackcollar by Timothy Zahn.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The Writers Digest Writer's Guide series to different historical settings, the Weird State series, Arthur Spiderwick's Field Guide to the Fantastical World Around Us and Barlowe's Extraterrestrials all work as RPG manuals. I've used the Field Guide to reskin scrags in my game.

hagor

First Post
For those who love the Cadfael mysteries by Ellis Peters, The Cadfael Companion: The World of Brother Cadfael is an excellent resource. You could combine it with The Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England and have an very plausible, authentic early medieval campaign.

Thanks for the tip!

I also found the maps & descriptions in the Cadfael books very inspiring, even going so far as to make copies of specific sections of them (in retrospect - sort of making my own companion). You get a clear picture of a medieval town, its citizens & craftsmen (although in the books some of them end up murdered...) and environment.

Unfortunately, I have not (yet?) been able to use this information...

Hagor

Remove ads