NonImprisoned Sidereals Questions

Hey ShadowofNarcissus amigo! :)

If a greater deity somehow becomes an Old One is he automatically imprisoned or do the existing immortals try to imprison him?

It wouldn't be automatic. But the other gods would see him as a threat to the status quo (depending on how active they were) and probably gang up on him to imprison him.

Do they try to imprison him even if he goes out of his way to avoid upsetting the balance?

Its possible he could keep a low profile, perhaps maintain an Avatar to throw the gods off the scent. You would suspect as soon as he actually 'did something' of note that the gods would be aware of his presence - especially those that sit on the Throne of the Gods.

Could he make an agreement with the existing immortal pantheons to limit his involvement in their affairs and as a result remain free? ...at least until he oversteps the agreed upon boundaries?

That's probably up to the DM and something to be roleplayed. However, why would deities of different alignments agree to it...?

What if the existing immortal pantheons lacked the ability to imprison him and the other sidereals, even first ones tried to face off against him, but failed.
Would a Time Lord or Neutronium Golem get involved?

They would likely only get involved if they attempted to extend their influence beyond the universe.

The dimensional guardians will intervene if he tries tampering with the dimensions.

What if he defeated them, refused to ascend further and went into hiding? Would he be hunted?

At a certain measure of power the Gods would probably concede (they are not stupid). But of course there are other Sidereals to contend with as well as monsters that might be attracted to the 'scent' of an old one.

Imagine sidereals like fish, certain monsters (anomalies for instance) might prey on those 'fish', especially the active ones that wriggle about a lot.

Not all sidereals are imprisoned per se', but they are likely well hidden, perhaps operating interdimensionally. Once they try interfering in the affairs of immortals is when they are likely to run into trouble.

I ask because I have a greater deity (former hero-deity) who managed to become an Old One, has no interest in the affairs of other immortals, and spends most of his time adventuring in disguise. Mostly because his adventuring party (his closest friends) are all still hero deities and epic mortals.

He never lets on what he has become and goes on secret quests to further his understanding of what he has become. The only other being aware of what he is would be Charon, The Boatman of The Styx, and Charon, so far, seems to be ok with it as they're allies/family (Charon raised my character).

Cool.

I can't think of a good reason why bickering deities of differing alignments would agree to leave him alone...unless he promised to be a buffer against far more powerful threats than they can handle. Like...the demiurge itself.

What does The Throne of The Gods do?

I can't think of a good reason why bickering deities of differing alignments would agree to leave him alone...unless he promised to be a buffer against far more powerful threats than they can handle. Like...the demiurge itself.

I don't see why the demiurge would bother with immortals. They would be zero threat (or next to it).

What does The Throne of The Gods do?

Odin's Throne is one manifestation* of the Throne of the Gods and it was said those who sat upon it are able to see all and pierce any hidden veil (or something like that).

It was an artifact from 1st Edition AD&D.

*The Throne of the Gods simultaneously exists on every plane (or at least every outer plane; I can't recall exactly).

Note to self...ascend to demiurge and go no further. lol

Scary throne. Does it even breach artifact level obfuscations?

I would say it does certainly breach any non-cosmic level artifact for sure.

I could be mis-remembering but I seem to recall it had the most powers* of any artifact in 1st Edition AD&D.

*Artifacts in 1st Ed. had a number of major/minor powers which each DM rolled randomly.

He'd be able to hide just fine then. Of course deities could find him in other ways if they were persistant enough. He has a tendancy to frequent var. temples due to his love of architecture and works of art.

Bootlebat

Explorer
I know this is an old thread, but aren't the sidereals only imprisoned in the "default" universe due to the interdimensional war? Also, the demiurge description says that the difference between demiurge and time lord is whether or not they have sidereals in their universe. So, would a universe presided over by a demiurge have at least some free sidereals?

Obly99

Hero
I know this is an old thread, but aren't the sidereals only imprisoned in the "default" universe due to the interdimensional war?
Yes, this is the dafault universe.
Also, the demiurge description says that the difference between demiurge and time lord is whether or not they have sidereals in their universe. So, would a universe presided over by a demiurge have at least some free sidereals?
Not necessarily. In default the Demiurge sleeps and the Sedereals are imprisoned.

Yes, this is the dafault universe.

Not necessarily. In default the Demiurge sleeps and the Sedereals are imprisoned.
This is exactly why I only use a modified version of the default universe in my settings. I use the basic concepts obviously, Aravoth, Kuvatchim, The Pleroma, etc, but entirely reject the idea that a bunch of mortals and low level basic God level Immortals somehow imprisoned all the Sidereals and somehow, bafflingly, the Demiurges, all of them, every single one, that concept honestly seems ridiculous to me.

Beyond the basic idea of what kind of ramifications that would have on the cosmos, with powers like Transilient Fortitude Reflexes and Will and Dominance, I think this scenario is legitimately actually impossible.

Bootlebat

Explorer
This is exactly why I only use a modified version of the default universe in my settings. The idea that a bunch of mortals and low level basic God level Immortals somehow imprisoned all the Sidereals and somehow, bafflingly, the Demiurges, all of them, every single one, seems ridiculous to me. Like with powers like Transilient Fortitude Reflexes and Will and Dominance, I think this scenario is legitimately actually impossible.
The immortals didn't acutally imprison them from what I understand. There was a war between all the sidereals and the first choir of angels eventually sealed them all away (themselves included). The Demiurge wasn't imprisoned either, but (I think) was basically "promoted" to a time lord after they were all gone. That said, I agree that's it's absurd to think this same scenario happened in every universe. For one, there shouldn't be any demiurges left in the first place if that's the case.

Remove ads