• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Noob just starting pathfinder looking for help

TurtleKing99

First Post
I've decided to be an Elf Wizard. I rolled for stats, but I don't know where to put them. I rolled 14, 11, 18, 13, 18, and 8. How should I distribute them?

Thanks.

Shisumo

First Post
Pretty good roll!

Before I get into the actual suggestions, let me say first that you should assign your scores in a way that makes sense for your character idea. If, for instance, you want to make a elf swordmaster/wizard, you should go for it (you have the stats to maybe even make it work!), but without knowing more about your goals, I'm going to offer some "generic" wizard advice.

For most wizards, the order of importance for ability scores is Intelligence > Constitution > Dexterity > Wisdom > Strength > Charisma. (Some people will tell you Dex should be higher than Constitution if you have to choose, and perhaps they are right; regardless, they both should be as high as possible.) In your case, the elf penalty to Constitution and bonus to Dexterity loom large, so you should assign your scores with that thought in mind.

I would probably go this way: Str 11, Dex 14 (+2 racial), Con 18 (-2 racial), Int 18 (+2 racial), Wis 13, Cha 8. That gives you a good Armor Class, a truly impressive number of Hit Points for an elf wizard, and the maximum possible score for your spellcasting needs.

baconcow

First Post
Is there a list in the Core Rules of preferred abilities for each class? For example, INT (and CON/DEX based on your post) for a Wizard. I have not seen any and am trying to figure out the general strengths of each. All I know is that a Cleric wants WIS. A Paladin wants WIS and CHA. A Fighter and Barbarian want STR. A Sorcerer wants INT. I've seen people say over and over, ABILITY1 and ABILITY2 are the CLASS X core abilities.

I'm a n00b, too.

Thanks

Kaiyanwang

Adventurer
Pretty good roll!

Before I get into the actual suggestions, let me say first that you should assign your scores in a way that makes sense for your character idea. If, for instance, you want to make a elf swordmaster/wizard, you should go for it (you have the stats to maybe even make it work!), but without knowing more about your goals, I'm going to offer some "generic" wizard advice.

For most wizards, the order of importance for ability scores is Intelligence > Constitution > Dexterity > Wisdom > Strength > Charisma. (Some people will tell you Dex should be higher than Constitution if you have to choose, and perhaps they are right; regardless, they both should be as high as possible.) In your case, the elf penalty to Constitution and bonus to Dexterity loom large, so you should assign your scores with that thought in mind.

I would probably go this way: Str 11, Dex 14 (+2 racial), Con 18 (-2 racial), Int 18 (+2 racial), Wis 13, Cha 8. That gives you a good Armor Class, a truly impressive number of Hit Points for an elf wizard, and the maximum possible score for your spellcasting needs.

I endorse all of this.

Just a nitpick: maybe you would get rid of the Cha penalty because you want to bargain with other wizards or conjured outsiders and stuff.. so you could exchange Str and Cha.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Is there a list in the Core Rules of preferred abilities for each class? For example, INT (and CON/DEX based on your post) for a Wizard. I have not seen any and am trying to figure out the general strengths of each. All I know is that a Cleric wants WIS. A Paladin wants WIS and CHA. A Fighter and Barbarian want STR. A Sorcerer wants INT. I've seen people say over and over, ABILITY1 and ABILITY2 are the CLASS X core abilities.

I'm a n00b, too.

Thanks

Sorcerers don't particularly need int, actually. And in pathfinder, Paladins don't need Wis (they did in 3.5, though).

Best bet is to use guides for classes when you can, and just use your best judgement based on the class features when you can't find a guide. Paladin's a combat class with a LOT of charisma-based abilities, for example. So you can infer they will need Charisma, Strength, and Constitution.

The only general rule is that everyone would like a good (14 or higher) Con score, if there's room for it after other important stats. Elves generally can't afford above a 12 thanks to the racial penalty, except when it's a spellcaster, especially an arcanist (in which case the only truly important score is the casting stat, so there's more room for a high Con). Also, I talk about affording things because I'm thinking in terms of point buy. If you're rolling...all bets are off, you could end up with wildly different stats than someone else at the table.

If you want ability score advice for specific classes, just ask.

Shisumo

First Post

I'm a n00b, too.

Thanks
Again, let me say: character concept first, stats after. Optimize the character you want to play, don't just tackle the mechanics in a vacuum.

That said, here are what I consider to be the three most important stats for a "generic" member of each of the base classes, in approximate order of importance:

Barbarian: Con/Str/Wis
Bard: Cha/Int/Dex
Cleric: Wis/Str/Con
Druid: Wis/Con/Str
Fighter: Str/Con/Dex
Monk: Str/Wis/Dex
Paladin: Str/Cha/Con
Ranger: Str/Dex/Wis
Rogue: Dex/Wis/Int*
Sorcerer: Cha/Con/Dex
Wizard: Int/Con/Dex

For the APG classes:
Alchemist: Int/Dex/Con
Cavalier: Str/Con/Cha or Dex (some orders have Cha-based abilities, some don't - pick Cha if your order cares about it)
Inquisitor: Str/Wis/Con
Oracle: Cha/Con/Str
Summoner: Cha/Con/Dex
Witch: Int/Con/Dex

In many of these cases, there is some float among the important stats, particularly depending on build (an archer fighter or ranger, for example, will have very different ability score priorities than what I have listed here). In general, all the full casters - which is to say, the classes that eventually get 9th level spells - should focus as much attention as possible on their casting stat. The half-casters (the ones like the bard, inquisitor, or paladin - the monk falls here too) will want to make sure their casting stat is decently high, but may need to worry about other things more; part of that decision should be based on whether you want to have spells that require saves or not. Non-casters like fighters and rogues should worry about scores that allow them to hit their opponents and perform their non-combat roles, like trap-finder or party socialite.

And, to repeat myself once more, concept first, numbers after.

*This one will no doubt prove controversial.

TurtleKing99

First Post
Pretty good roll!

Thanks, this was very helpful! How important is strength for a Wizard?

Shisumo

First Post
Thanks, this was very helpful! How important is strength for a Wizard?
I only listed it higher than Charisma because encumbrance can be a pain in the butt. If your GM doesn't care about emcumbrance and you don't care about melee combat, then you can dump it entirely.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads