Noodling on a 1 page RPG

Mezuka

Hero
If I have 1 in Brawn, +3 Trait in Brawn, +3 Dwarf in Brawn, +1 Cleric Brawn = 8 brawn before I roll the d6. Character succeeds automatically on unopposed rolls (6+). Is that correct?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
If I have 1 in Brawn, +3 Trait in Brawn, +3 Dwarf in Brawn, +1 Cleric Brawn = 8 brawn before I roll the d6. Character succeeds automatically on unopposed rolls (6+). Is that correct?
Yeah, 6 is basically peak human, so it's an auto. At least for normal tasks. I might add in herculean tasks at a higher level. You can actually start with 10 brawn.

Mezuka

Hero
Yeah, 6 is basically peak human, so it's an auto. At least for normal tasks. I might add in herculean tasks at a higher level. You can actually start with 10 brawn.
Indeed. 6 for average unopposed. Maybe 9 for difficult and 12 for herculean. A character with 8 brawn would need 4+ (50%) on d6 to succeed at herculean.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Typo, Leveling doesn't have a double ll

I'm trying to decide whether I like "can open any lock" or not. It seems like it removes a possibly cool thing from the game by making it irrelevant. I'm not yet sure.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Typo, Leveling doesn't have a double ll
Oh, you crazy Americans! (you actually made me doubt myself, but I've double checked!)
I'm trying to decide whether I like "can open any lock" or not. It seems like it removes a possibly cool thing from the game by making it irrelevant. I'm not yet sure.
That's a personal niggle of mine--I rarely find a locked door adds fun to a game, and it's a chance for a character to show how awesome they are. But, yeah, there are times when I guess a door needs to be locked for plot reasons. I'll think on it!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I made some (very small) tweaks last night while waiting for the kettle to boil. I've no idea how this plays, mind.

Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 2.35.30 PM.png

SakanaSensei

Adventurer
This looks really neat! I could see using this for a pick up game of some kind or something.

Just curious, is it supposed to be Lifepath RPG, or is the RGP order accurate and means something else?

TheOneGargoyle

Explorer
@Morrus - that's .... really impressive, the bones of an RPG mechanics on a single page, kudos !

I could even see myself running that for my kids.

Couple of clarifications questions:
  • If Magic starts at 0 but Human gives +1 to all stats, does that mean all humans start with Magic 1 ?
  • Most of the class names seem suitably broad except for Burglar which seems oddly specific, is there a particular reason you wanted to avoid something broader like Rogue ?
  • Bard says "make somebody do a Willpower check" - does that mean they 1d6+Willpower and try to beat your Stat+3 (if so, which stat, Presence) ? Or should it worded slightly differently so as you make your 1d6+Presence roll vs their Willpower+3 ?
  • Summon spell says "a Level 1 critter" - could perhaps add an example to the baddies list ?

Well done again mate, nice work.

Remove ads