• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Noodling on a 1 page RPG

Mezuka

Hero
If I have 1 in Brawn, +3 Trait in Brawn, +3 Dwarf in Brawn, +1 Cleric Brawn = 8 brawn before I roll the d6. Character succeeds automatically on unopposed rolls (6+). Is that correct?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
If I have 1 in Brawn, +3 Trait in Brawn, +3 Dwarf in Brawn, +1 Cleric Brawn = 8 brawn before I roll the d6. Character succeeds automatically on unopposed rolls (6+). Is that correct?
Yeah, 6 is basically peak human, so it's an auto. At least for normal tasks. I might add in herculean tasks at a higher level. You can actually start with 10 brawn.

Mezuka

Hero
Yeah, 6 is basically peak human, so it's an auto. At least for normal tasks. I might add in herculean tasks at a higher level. You can actually start with 10 brawn.
Indeed. 6 for average unopposed. Maybe 9 for difficult and 12 for herculean. A character with 8 brawn would need 4+ (50%) on d6 to succeed at herculean.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Typo, Leveling doesn't have a double ll

I'm trying to decide whether I like "can open any lock" or not. It seems like it removes a possibly cool thing from the game by making it irrelevant. I'm not yet sure.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Typo, Leveling doesn't have a double ll
Oh, you crazy Americans! (you actually made me doubt myself, but I've double checked!)
I'm trying to decide whether I like "can open any lock" or not. It seems like it removes a possibly cool thing from the game by making it irrelevant. I'm not yet sure.
That's a personal niggle of mine--I rarely find a locked door adds fun to a game, and it's a chance for a character to show how awesome they are. But, yeah, there are times when I guess a door needs to be locked for plot reasons. I'll think on it!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I made some (very small) tweaks last night while waiting for the kettle to boil. I've no idea how this plays, mind.

Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 2.35.30 PM.png

SakanaSensei

Adventurer
This looks really neat! I could see using this for a pick up game of some kind or something.

Just curious, is it supposed to be Lifepath RPG, or is the RGP order accurate and means something else?

TheOneGargoyle

Explorer
@Morrus - that's .... really impressive, the bones of an RPG mechanics on a single page, kudos !

I could even see myself running that for my kids.

Couple of clarifications questions:
  • If Magic starts at 0 but Human gives +1 to all stats, does that mean all humans start with Magic 1 ?
  • Most of the class names seem suitably broad except for Burglar which seems oddly specific, is there a particular reason you wanted to avoid something broader like Rogue ?
  • Bard says "make somebody do a Willpower check" - does that mean they 1d6+Willpower and try to beat your Stat+3 (if so, which stat, Presence) ? Or should it worded slightly differently so as you make your 1d6+Presence roll vs their Willpower+3 ?
  • Summon spell says "a Level 1 critter" - could perhaps add an example to the baddies list ?

Well done again mate, nice work.

Remove ads