North Texas Role Playing Convention

Filcher

First Post
It seems dedicated the "old school" gaming and games. The list of special guests is impressive (if you started gaming in 1984 or earlier. :) :) :) )

grodog

Hero
Any Enworlders going?

Definitely :D

First I've heard of it. I'll have to do some thinking...

Well-worth attending, if you like old school gaming and smaller gaming gatherings.

It seems dedicated the "old school" gaming and games. The list of special guests is impressive (if you started gaming in 1984 or earlier. :) :) :) )

The list is impressive either way (Kuntz wrote Paizo's ENnie-Award-Winning 3.5-era Maure Castle adventures, for example), but then I'm biased :D (And next year Erol Otus is attending as well).

NTRPGCon

First Post
Come On Out !

Rob Kuntz: what has he not done for TSR
Tim Kask: editor of Dragon Magazine and other TSR stuff
Paul Jaquays: artist (JG stuff like: Dark Tower, Caverns of Thracia)
Dennis Sustare: Bunnies & Burrows - creator of the Druid class
Jim Ward: Metamorphosis Alpha
Steve Winter: what did he not work on with TSR/WotC for 20+ years

Yes, the Con leans more toward "old school", but ANY RPG is welcome. The Con is thus called: North Texas Role Playing Convention.

Currently we schedule games at the tables for anyone that can get 6 people to play in their game. So 4E D&D is not out of the question, nor is any other RPG game.

But since our guest list is from the "old timers" list, most people that attend prefer playing some old school versions.

Have you ever tried to find an old school game at GenCon ! good luck...

If you can make the Con, you won't be disappointed. There will be plenty of gaming for all that attend. I think the entire crowd left the Con last year looking like Zombies they played so much.

Last edited:

Badmike3

First Post
Goodman Games author Harley Stroh was just confirmed yesterday, he is running playtest sessions of the new DCC Roleplaying game.

While focusing on old school (pre-2000) gaming, we are also interested in getting new gamers exposed to and curious about older versions of roleplaying games, particularly Dungeons and Dragons. To this end we sponsor retroclones and simulacrums of older games, as well as the occasional foray into newer games (we are running one 3.5 session at the con, and would not be opposed to other newer games if enough people to run and play in one sign up).

The con is mostly a reaction to the inability of old schoolers to locate an old school game at most newer cons, and the dearth of major gaming cons in the DFW area. We decided to create a con that catered to the classic gamer, playing the games we like, with the guests we'd like to see, so we wouldn't have to travel! We are very much like Garycon in style and content. Sure it's a nostalgia trip, but who doesn't love those?

With the passing away of so many of the great legends of gaming lately (particularly Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson, but also including figures such as Bob Bledsaw and Tom Moldvay) we realized the guys who practically invented RPGs are not going to be with us forever. Thus as many of the old school guests as we can get are going to be here, sharing their stories, recollections, and sometimes games with a new generation of gamers as well as the older guys who grew up with them.

Anyway, check out the site and if you are going to be in the DFW area the first weekend in June, come by and say hi and meet some of the legends of gaming....

Mike B.

North Texas RPG Convention

Filcher

First Post
Sweet! Just saw that Grodog is running his vision/version of Greyhawk Castle! Seriously bummed to see that all the slots for Stroh and the DCC RPG are filled up.

Lesson: Looks like I need to sign up early for next year.

Is there open gaming?

NTRPGCon

First Post
Of Course

Yes, there is open gaming as well... and Harley Stroh has 2 games planned, but I think Mike has only put one of the on the site... it was to replace a full game that got canceled. So there will be another Harley Stroh game that weekend. (btw the Con is the first Thursday in June each year, so it's not always the first "weekend")

We also have an adventure for Swords & Wizardry being written by Dennis Sustare (see a couple of posts up if you don't know who he is)... and he is going to run the adventure as well. So that game will get posted soon as well.

So just because you didn't sign up early, doesn't mean there won't be games to play.

Badmike3

First Post
Awesome! Thanks for the quick reply! Glad to hear that there are more games available ... need to get myself signed up!

Harley will have a 2nd game, either Saturday night and Sunday morning. Right now Doug is trying to figure out how to fit in an extra game Friday night for the Dennis Sustare S&W game, and if so I'll get him to include another Saturday night game also. Jon Hershberger just got another slot Saturday morning, and there are plenty of spots still open for all the other sessions. We'd love to see you!

And yes we have one room dedicated to open gaming.

Mike B.

Remove ads