[not a poll] How much bandwidth has been salvaged by banning off-topic polls?

reapersaurus

First Post
I'd say there's a big difference between OT that is interesting, and people can "sink their teeth into", so to speak, and something that is blatantly cluttering up the boards, like those polls were.

There are MANY examples of good OT discussions out there, I don;t think I have to point out any (since what one person finds quite interesting could be another's waste of time)

Tsyr

Explorer
It wasn't even the OT polls that were the bad ones, really... it was the innane ones. Like, do you allow DMs in your campagin, crap like that. Of which we had a half dozen or better on the front page.

Someguy

First Post
polls were just a fad I think too...
And yes...most of the polls were ontopic..but dumb...and had no lemoncurry either... :(

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
reapersaurus said:
exactly correct, Tsyr.
i think doc_clueless is the ony one forgetting the inundation of completely useless - not offtopic - polls.

Uh. Right. I'm forgetting nothing, but thanks for being condescending anyway. Not once have a said that I liked the useless polls. In fact, I started one of them and then promptly quick with just a minor word from Piratecat, because it was stupid and useless.

What I have stated is that I didn’t find them any more annoying than 90% of the other OT crap that clutters up the board. Figure skating? My date didn’t work out? I’m having a midlife crisis? Can anyone help me with my computer? What’s the best gamebox? Etc. ad nauseum. WTF? They are not even CLOSE to being related to gaming except by the most tenuous of means. You know how I deal with them... ::: drumroll ::: ..., I don't read them. Oooo, aaah. Problem fixed.

So you like those "useful" OT threads. Great. For YOU they are less irritating than the useless polls. I, however, don’t see the difference. They are both clutter and have blessed little to do with gaming.

Where do you draw the line? Luckily that’s not left up to us. It’s Morris and the moderators job. It’s their playground. I’m just invited so I won’t stoop to complaining about how they run their site. I just quite simply don’t see any real meaningful difference. OT is OT. Useless for gaming is useless for gaming. Entertaining is entertaining.

Ah, to hell with it. I’ve seen how you do this to other people, Reap. I won’t be drawn any further into your petty web.

Zerovoid

First Post
I thought the board looked really ugly with all those polls. But polls are so fun, I couldn't stop voting in them... I am glad they are gone though.

Remove ads