D&D General Not gonna worry, Will just keep playin (+)

hedgeknight

Explorer
I don't give three $#!+$ what happens to WotC or the OGL. Like many others, I have enough materials to game two lifetimes. If WotC were to crash and burn today, I'd go home, start a fire, grab a bottle of brown water, and celebrate the defeat of the BBEG.

Clint_L

Hero
To put this in context, Marvel went bankrupt in the late 90s. The comic book business was in collapse, their movie rights were all over the place and had never been used to make anything except a few risible B films, and there was much talk of The End.

They seem to be doing okay.

My point is that once an IP reaches a certain level of cultural saturation, it's really hard for it to go away, barring massive cultural shifts that are way outside its control. It might languish for a time, but there will be a reservoir of awareness and nostalgia that keeps it alive and ready for a resurgence. D&D has that level of cultural saturation - in fact, that is what is sparking Hasbro's talk of better monetizing it.

So OP has the right attitude - just keep playing it how you like and making more great adventures.

I need to do a better job of ignoring all the agitated threads that jump onto whatever the latest rumour is and go into a frenzy. I find them frustrating because it feels to me like a lot of folks are just here to root against D&D, or against the current version of D&D, and I don't understand why that's a thing. So I start arguing and become part of the problem.

Edit: I love D&D. I have since I was introduced to it at 12 years old. I run the D&D Club at my school, and the game has made such a positive impact on so many kids. Last summer, I ran my first summer camp for mostly neuro-divergent kids, and they were so happy - I cannot tell you how many parents were just thrilled that their child was excited to be with another group of kids, socializing and having a great time. I have had parents tell me that their child never had a real friend before they started playing this game. I talked to one mom on the phone who was crying, telling me that her kid, who had never had a single friend over, just had a D&D birthday party with 7 other kids at their place, and now they play every weekend, almost.

I get that other RPGs are great, too. I play many of them, and I introduce students to them, too. But D&D is the thing that everyone knows about - it is the gateway for almost all these kids. I have seen it have such a positive impact, over and over. So I root for it to keep doing well, and I get defensive of it. And WotC has sponsored our club via access to a ton of free stuff on DnDBeyond, and I want to speak up for that. Painting them as corporate villains really rubs me the wrong way, because in my direct experience they are the opposite of that.

Edit 2: Each time I read this thread's title, the voice in my head sounds like Wooderson from Dazed and Confused (Matthew McConaughy's character). Just keep p-l-a-y-i-n'.

Last edited:

hedgeknight

Explorer
I need to do a better job of ignoring all the agitated threads that jump onto whatever the latest rumour is and go into a frenzy. I find them frustrating because it feels to me like a lot of folks are just here to root against D&D, or against the current version of D&D, and I don't understand why that's a thing. So I start arguing and become part of the problem.
Clint, spot on man. I need to do likewise.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
It's all so silly.

3E was "open"... 4E was "closed"... 5E was "open"... 1D&D was "closed"... yadda yadda yadda.

There's absolutely no reason to think that the "Official" Dungeons & Dragons game won't "re-open" again somewhere down the line, so being worried about anything having to do with this game is unnecessary. Even if the money people at Hasbro kill 5E's momentum with an attempt at monetization, all that will happen is that the game will slow down, the D&D team at Wizards will get gutted, a new group of folks will be hired to come into the design room, and then 6E/7E (whatever naming convention suits you) does what Mearls did with 5E and get the game back on its feet in a bunch of years.

Second verse same as the first.
That's still a bunch of years without 3PP content, and a bunch of creators who are out of luck.

Dioltach

Legend
I remember the days when it was understood that all you needed to play D&D was a PHB, a DMG, a MM (or MC) and some dice. Anything else is nice, but not necessary.

As matters stand, even after culling my collection of countless books and boxed sets, I still have shelves of d20 material: 3.5E, D20 Modern, Star Wars D20, various d20 variants. Plus my 1st edition Dark Eye boxed sets and BECMI. I can play face to face with friends, or via Teams/Zoom/Skype. I'm happy.

hawkeyefan

Legend
For my gaming group that plays a lot of D&D, I’m not concerned. We can continue on with the 5e stuff if we want. Or if people are excited by One D&D, then we can do that. I’ll also continue to GM new games for them whenever possible.

For my other gaming group, D&D isn’t on the menu, so whatever happens is a non-issue.

For folks who create content for sale, I hope the new license allows them to continue doing so. If it doesn’t, I hope there is sufficient wiggle room to basically keep making stuff just without the official 5e stamp.

Most of all, though, I hope that this makes folks… both gamers and designers… look into other games. There’s so much out there to play, and not everything designed meeds to be 5e compatible.

I think the fans are a better and more capable steward of both D&D and the hobby overall.

Remove ads