Notebook CPU question

Tilenas

Explorer
I'd like to buy a notebook that has an ULV (ultra-low voltage) CPU. The one thing that worries me is that the CPU in question (Intel SU4100) is only clocked at 1,3 GHz. Since I'd like to play Dragon Age, I'm worried that I won't meet its requirements (1,6 GHz for Vista).
Now, I've heard several times that notebook and desktop CPUs weren't readily comparable and that newer (and also better) CPUs do not necessarily have higher tact rates. How far is that true and will this CPU be sufficient to run the game?
Any help much appreciated!

Psionicist

Explorer
I'd like to buy a notebook that has an ULV (ultra-low voltage) CPU. The one thing that worries me is that the CPU in question (Intel SU4100) is only clocked at 1,3 GHz. Since I'd like to play Dragon Age, I'm worried that I won't meet its requirements (1,6 GHz for Vista).
Now, I've heard several times that notebook and desktop CPUs weren't readily comparable and that newer (and also better) CPUs do not necessarily have higher tact rates. How far is that true and will this CPU be sufficient to run the game?
Any help much appreciated!

Hi,

Notebook CPU:s are almost always slower than desktop CPU:s, moreso for the lower watt models. Does the minimum requirements specify a CPU type? If it says "1.6 GHz Core 2 or similar" then the CPU is probably too slow for bearable gameplay. If it says "1.6 GHz Pentium 4", then it might work.

Anyway, there will be other problems. Almost all notebooks I know of with Intel ULV are not really designed for gaming, so they use poor integrated graphics. Do you _need_ this processor? If you accept other types of CPU:s there's a plethora of great laptops designed with gaming in mind. Some of them are not even particularly bulky, if you want 12" or thereabouts.

Cheers,

Tilenas

Explorer
Unfortunately it does say 1,6 Core Duo or equivalent. Guess those 1,3 are insufficient then. It does however have a Radeon HD 4530 graphics chip, so will that be alright for games that are a bit older (e.g. Oblivion)?

Remove ads