Nothing to Read - Suggestions?

CCamfield

First Post
Sepulchrave? Do you mean Mervyn Peake's books, then?

Please do give us thoughts on what you do like. Maybe something about the reasons would be helpful too. :)

Justin

Explorer
Aus_Snow said:
OK, but what actual novels have you enjoyed greatly, even if some considerable time ago?

My absolute favorites used to be Dan Simmons' Hyperion and Endymion books, but eventually even those wore thin with the whole "love is the main force in the universe" thing and thin characterizations in the Endymion books. Others I've liked in the past were John C. Wright's The Golden Age and sequels, Alastair Reynolds (as I mentioned above, and the reviews of Century Rain at Amazon have steered me clear of that one) and Neuromancer. I also used to really like Dune, but the KJA/BH House prequels and The Butlerian Jihad ruined that, too. (Kinda like how SW Eps I-III retroactively ruined IV-VI for me.)

In thinking about it, I've preferred science fiction over fantasy for quite a while, and I can't even find any sci fi that is appealing any more. I checked out Iain Bank's Culture books and didn't care for them, same with anything by Neal Stephenson.

As for fantasy that I've liked, well I can't really remember any. When I was much younger I liked the Dragonlance books. I can't stand Tolkien.

Also, you might want to check out the thread (probably on Page 2 or so at the moment) I started requesting recommendations of fiction. Much of it will not appeal, but some of it might, as the suggestions are certainly varied in nature.

I've read through the other recommendation and "What are you reading?" threads, but so far nothing in those has appealed to me. I think my problem is that I have a very narrow range of interests. I've even been trying to get back into playing D&D over the last couple of years, but I ended up leaving both campaigns after only a couple of sessions each. Just couldn't maintain interest. I'm not even sure, given that I don't game, why I'm still reading EN World. That's not a slam on this site, it's a great site, but I'm just a spectator who wishes he could play but can't seem to.

Best of luck, and I hope you find your love of fiction again soon.

Thank you. However, I'm convinced that I'm a lost cause.

Justin

Steverooo said:
How about Ishi In Two Worlds, the story of the last "Wild" Indian in North America, and how a "stone age man" dealt with the white man's technological world? Also tells about the fate of his tribe. Non-fiction.

I'm not sure how that differs from the book I have: Ishi: Last of His Tribe (after all the Author's have been dead for quite some time.

I think yours might just be some sort of re-print. Or a 'new' hardcover edition. Of they might have just wanted a jazzier title. Ishi wasn't exactly 'wild', he was quite civilized (as opposed to the Hollywood evil savage sterotype).

Its a good book. Not the most uplifting of stories, and doesn't exactly have a 'happy ending'.

Asmo

First Post
Please try Robin Hobb, she´s an exellent author.
Her Farseer books are brilliant, I´m not easily moved by books or movies, but often I find that my eyes are brimmed with tears while reading Hobb.

As LightPhoenix says in another thread:

"Hobb is one of my favorite authors with regards to humanization of characters. That is to say, not just making them interesting characters with interesting personalities, but making them seem human as well. So you do get invested in characters, and when bad things happen it really does bother you."

Very well put.

Asmo

CCamfield

First Post
On the one hand, I can understand being bitterly disappointed by a letdown in a series.

On the other, well, maybe your tastes are just changing. You say that you don't think you can like fiction any more, but there's more to fiction and reading than science fiction and fantasy. Maybe it's good to take a break and read other things for a while. Historical fiction, mysteries, "literature", non-fiction, whatever.

Justin

Explorer
Rackhir said:
So what military fiction have you read and what did you dislike about it?

I don't recall specifics, but I just have a general dislike of reading anything about anything military-related.

Justin

Explorer
CCamfield said:
On the one hand, I can understand being bitterly disappointed by a letdown in a series.

On the other, well, maybe your tastes are just changing. You say that you don't think you can like fiction any more, but there's more to fiction and reading than science fiction and fantasy. Maybe it's good to take a break and read other things for a while. Historical fiction, mysteries, "literature", non-fiction, whatever.

I've never liked any kind of fiction other than sci-fi and fantasy, and I still don't. Non-fiction is all I can seem to read any more and I haven't been reading much of that even. I like reading, but I can't even remember the last book, fiction or non, that I completed. And other than working out and trail running (which I can't do right now due to a minor stress fracture in my right tibia), I have no hobbies, which is why I think I've been trying to find some escapist reading and to play D&D.

Remove ads