Novels

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Not sure how I feel about it.

I guess as long as the novels don't feature world-shaking events, I'm OK with it, but I'd rather the stories told in Golarion feature my PCs instead of someone else....

I wonder what effect this will have upon Planet Stories (both short term and long term).

Perram

Explorer
I really want there to be Pathfinder Novels, if only so that I can get a better feel for what the world is like when I'm role playing in it. I don't want the novels to shape the world like some of the realms novels did, but Golarion has a lot of adventure opportunities in it, enough to support both our PCs and the novel characters.

I mean, with Kingmaker next month, our PCs are going to get the chance to rule a nation, after all!

Erik Mona

Adventurer
A formal news release will go out Tuesday, but we've posted the first two novel product pages on paizo.com/pathfinder/fiction. First up is Winter Witch, by Elaine Cunningham (which we'll have at Gen Con) followed shortly thereafter by Prince of Wolves, by Dave Gross, which follows up on characters last seen in the Pathfinder Journal section of the Pathfinder Adventure Path.

All Pathfinder novels will focus on "small stories" in the sword and sorcery tradition. We won't be killing gods or blowing up nations, or anything. But as someone said above, the books will give interesting insight into the cultures of Golarion. Winter Witch is set in the frozen kingdom of Irrisen, for example, while Prince of Wolves takes place in the gothic horror nation of Ustalav. Neither nations have thus far seen much development in our line, so there will be plenty of cool info to glean from these novels if you're looking to flesh out these locations.

Plus, they'll be damn fun.

The line does not impact our Planet Stories fiction line, which continues strong. We just announced a Double Feature that includes a NEW novel from Michael Moorcock and a reprint of Manly Wade Wellman's caveman hero Hok. If you haven't read any of those stories yet, they will absolutely blow your mind.

--Erik Mona
Publisher
Paizo Publishing

Jeff Wilder

First Post
All Pathfinder novels will focus on "small stories" in the sword and sorcery tradition. We won't be killing gods or blowing up nations, or anything.
But if something happens in the novels, it happens in Golarion-the-game-setting?

(Please say no. One of the things I loved about Eberron is that the novels were simply not canon.)

Skytheen

Explorer
One of the (many) things I like about Paizo is that they're doing things smartly. It appears that they've seen what has been done and try hard to avoid the parts that sucked. Sort of like LOST is to X-Files. Sort of.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
Well, seeing as how our adventures are not assumed to have "happened" in the continuity of the world, our operating assumption is that the events in the novels will not change the world of the game. That said, if there's some town detailed in a novel, we'd probably make sure that the continuity between the novels and game books cooperate.

--Erik

SPECTRE666

Adventurer
Yes no GSE(Golarion Shaking Events). But make sure they are packed full of Golarionlore.:)

I hear Paul Kemp will be writing one also. More win!

Get Ed Greenwood to write one also. Even more win!!!

MerrikCale

First Post
Well, seeing as how our adventures are not assumed to have "happened" in the continuity of the world, our operating assumption is that the events in the novels will not change the world of the game. That said, if there's some town detailed in a novel, we'd probably make sure that the continuity between the novels and game books cooperate.

--Erik

Thats great. I certainly can't wait until September.

By the way, when is your novel, Erik?

Remove ads