• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

November 16th release for Web-based Character Builder

Kurtomatic

First Post
Regarding the Silverlight sub-topic, while I don't work with it directly myself, I was still getting that nagging feeling that I'd missed a meeting or something. So for the coding gear heads here, I found this afternoon's Silverlight article on Ars useful:

Silverlight, HTML5, and Microsoft's opaque development strategy [ars technica]

Disclaimer Edit:
Upon reflection, I'd like to note that the above article is flawed, but I still found it useful. The takeaway here is that there is still a strong case for using non-HTML5 frameworks for the near future, and Silverlight solves some specific problems for WotC that make it better than existing alternatives.

Last edited:

buddhafrog

First Post
Whether some people have been screwing Wizards by subscribing for a month, downloading everything and then cancelling is a separate issue entirely

I agreed with much this poster wrote, however I have to comment on this idea which I've seen written about a lot.

NO ONE SCREWED WotC by subscribing for a month, downloading the info, and then cancelling. It was one of the options WotC gave people. They did this probably to offer an easy entry into DDI with the hope/belief that people would find the value and stay subscribed. The fact that many people did not continually subscribe is b/c:

• folks didn't see the value in doing so - the updates were not valuable enough (useful/frequent, etc), or
  • folks just didn't have that type of monthly cash to drop -- and these folks won't pay for the new version either

As a business, you want to make your entry very easy and cheap, and be a good enough product to keep people throwing money your way. That is what the one month DDI goal was. It wasn't cheating the system. Just sayin'.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Very few programs have print to pdf native. Accoding to Paolo, just as with the current CB, you would need to install a third-party print to pdf program. I use cute pdf. (free).

then perhaps, just perhaps, WoTC needs to include a native PDF program? I know that at work I use Pro Rep, a productivity program, and it has one so it is possible. If you're going to be 'politely' boning people with your lack of export abilities, providing an in-house work around woudl be one small gesture that "we're working on it" might actually mean that. (Looks at Monster Builder which is still beta...)

evilref

Explorer
then perhaps, just perhaps, WoTC needs to include a native PDF program? I know that at work I use Pro Rep, a productivity program, and it has one so it is possible. If you're going to be 'politely' boning people with your lack of export abilities, providing an in-house work around woudl be one small gesture that "we're working on it" might actually mean that. (Looks at Monster Builder which is still beta...)

Given how good the various third party pdfcreators are, I sincerely hope they don't try to do any native pdf generation. With the exception of adobe products themselves (CS3/4/5) i've never encountered any software that can generate pdfs anywhere near as well as a 3rd party app specifically designed to do so. Moreover printing to one is as quick and easy as, well, printing.

rjdafoe

Explorer
Ah yes... the madness that WotC no longer is going to let people scam the system by buying a single month's subscription to DDI and gain access to the entire suite of crunch and keep it for as long as they want without paying anything further.

What are they thinking?!? :lol:

And what about those of us that have been DDI subscribers form the get go and like the way the CB was before?

What about WotC telling all of us that the CB update was on schedule a few weeks ago?

What about that you cannot have access to digital copies of your characters unless you continue to pay for DDI?

What about the new CB has less features that the old CB?

What about those of us that do no like some of the changes, and if we use the new CB, all those changes are there no matter what? As far as I am concerned, they have lied to the (so called) D&D Insiders for over 2 months now.

D&D is not an MMO. My biggest complaint about the CB "Classic" (as they are calling it now) is that it does not have enough support for custom campaigns, custom items, custom feats, etc. This tool will have even LESS of that.

Also, what about NEW tools. They have basically started over.

Also, what happens when 5th edition comes out and all of the online digital tools are now for a game that I do not play? With the current CB, you can still use the program.

rjdafoe

Explorer
I will continue to subscribe to DDI regardless of platform for one simple reason...

THE CHARACTER BUILDER IS JUST TOO DAMN USEFUL.

You know what? That's the long and the short of it. Designing characters with the program is worth ANY inconvenience WotC might throw up.

I'm not going to cancel my subscription in order to "prove some point", or to try and let WotC know that they've "lost a customer" or any other of that nonsense. I play 4E weekly. I like making it easier on myself. And designing/leveling characters using the CB on a web-only platform is STILL EASIER than quitting DDI over some perceived slight and then trying to do all this work using just the books.

So basically... a WotC rep could come over to my house each and every month and doofsmack me in the back of the head and I'd STILL pay for DDI, because THEIR PRODUCT IS JUST THAT GOOD AND I'M WILLING TO PAY FOR IT.

And I have a sneaking suspicion that quite a number of you who are proclaiming that you're "done"... will discover in three months time without having a Character Builder to use and trying to do everything by hand that... you know what? Maybe having it online-only really isn't such a big deal after all.

Or they will just use something else and someone else get's their money

or they will continue to play 4E and not buy anything else

or they will move on to something else that they think is a better company to deal with

BobTheNob

First Post
D&D is not an MMO. My biggest complaint about the CB "Classic" (as they are calling it now) is that it does not have enough support for custom campaigns, custom items, custom feats, etc. This tool will have even LESS of that.
How do you know that? How does anyone know anything about the breadth of options and power this new tool will offer? How can anyone speculate as to its framework and expansibility...did you work on its development?

We dont know, but we are so willing to go on the offensive.

All this venom, these threats of cancellation. This anger. Has anyone out there actually used this tool and can give us some feedback? In interested to hear.

renau1g

First Post
WotC has said this stuff in their boards, go check it out. They mentioned no export (less than current offering) & no customization of items or feats (less than the current one offers).

Now they can add that, but what they will roll out on the 18th does not have that.

rjdafoe

Explorer
How do you know that? How does anyone know anything about the breadth of options and power this new tool will offer? How can anyone speculate as to its framework and expansibility...did you work on its development?

We dont know, but we are so willing to go on the offensive.

All this venom, these threats of cancellation. This anger. Has anyone out there actually used this tool and can give us some feedback? In interested to hear.

I can tell you FOR SURE that these features are not in release. They have said so themselves. All you have to do is go read abotu the features, and what the lead person is saying about it. You can't even mix campaigns at release.

Sure, maybe someday, but not at release, and nobody knows when. My feelings are that after the release of the CB, their focus will be on the MB, and we will see data only updates for a little while to the CB.

My guess is that it will be even more diffcult for them to have personalized custom content that you add when everyone is using what is essentially a shared copy of the program.

And I have a sneaking suspicion that quite a number of you who are proclaiming that you're "done"... will discover in three months time without having a Character Builder to use and trying to do everything by hand that... you know what? Maybe having it online-only really isn't such a big deal after all.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Ooooh you know what? I bet we will. Couldn't you have actually told us that we will all RUE THE DAY while you were at it?

Look, here's the thing. A tabletop roleplaying game that is so cumbersome and ponderous as to nigh REQUIRE attachment to an electronic teat of streaming data just might be a tad too ridiculous for the gamer that just wants to have fun and doesn't want a hobby that feels so much like work.

Pointing out that someone who refuses to rent rather than purchase some of their gaming material may regret trying to enjoy playing without it isn't what I would consider a top notch endorsement of the game as a whole.

Nice try.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads