• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OD&D November 2013--Deluxe OD&D Reprint (White Box + Supplements I-IV)

JeffB

Legend
No chainmail originaly included in the boxed sets.

No GH, no BM, no EW, no G,DG,&H, either.

Would cost ya a bundle to find a OCE whitebox (least expensive of the original LBB sets), and all those supplements in good condition.

Ranes

Adventurer
Damn! I really envy people who still have that stuff! Saves them doing what I've been doing the last couple of years - scouring eBay to rebuild my gaming memories. I honestly don't know what happened to much of it - I didn't consciously get rid of it, and never really stopped gaming.

I can sympathise with that. Same thing happened to me. About ten years ago, I started scouring eBay to rebuild my collection. Old 'mono' print modules, OD&D boxed set, 1e core books, etc. At the same time, I was spending a lot on 3e.

By about a year ago, I had pretty much rebuilt everything (albeit at considerable cost). And I didn't even have a particularly large number of items. I'm not a collector in that sense. However, my collection included my original copy of the 1e PHB which had spent nearly twenty years doing the rounds in friends' attics before - quite by a most wonderful example of chance - it found its way back to me.

And this time I was going to look after it. I'm not materialistic but D&D was special. (Next up would be all my old classic Traveller stuff but...)

Last September, I left the country and spent a few months living on a tiny tropical island as far away as I could get from the world I was used to without going completely off the grid. I could get an Internet connection as long as all the fruit bats were flying in the same direction that day.

When I came back, in November last year, my collection had disappeared. The details are irrelevant; it's all gone. Again. And in the case of my 35 year-old PHB, for good.

But that makes these digital (and paper) reprints worth so much more to me. I don't care that I don't have the originals. I had the originals. As long as I can still refer to the content, that is enough. Reprints are perfectly acceptable. Digital copies even better (I can back those up to protect them from my luck).

I suppose the only niggle I have with this news is that they're not reprinting the books with their original stock and cover art. I actually find that decision a little surprising.

Nevertheless, good for WotC.

They've stealthily updated the product image on the Product Page, and it's gotten some conversation elsewhere (io9 and Wired).
45390000_pic.jpg
It's nice to finally see a real image rather than the very, very obviously photoshopped mock-up they had for eight months.

It would still be nice to get some actual information about things like, oh, the quality of the box (real wood or particleboard with a veneer?) the thickness of the book covers, and the like.

Amazon.com has the product now scheduled for December and Amazon.ca has no information anymore. (These are really the place to buy as the savings make this a reasonable purchase rather than exotic luxury.)
The product page still has November listed. But WotC's communication is below par at best, so it could have easily been delayed a month and they just neglected to tell anyone. It won't have been the first time.

Last edited:

JeffB

Legend
Yeah,.saw this the other day. Though generally a fan, I am not digging WARs homage to the OCE box cover at all.

The Product Page and recent Previews still have this planned for November 19th, two weeks from now. (There have been five previews for the product and nothing really on the box or dice, aka what accounts for 80% of the price.)

However, amazon.com, Barns & Nobble, and Chapters/Indigo have it scheduled for December 17th. And amazon.ca seems uncertain if it exists.
So we *might* have a few more weeks to get the $100+ to get it (or have the product overlap with Christmas funds). Or online retailers *might* be selling it after stores. Or not.

Remove ads