OD&D November 2013--Deluxe OD&D Reprint (White Box + Supplements I-IV)

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
The previews have posted the old and new covers of the various books.

Except for one. For some reason. Here it is:

09_suppl3.jpg

Will the reference sheets have combat rules? Because if not, while a great thing to own, it's not complete as a game. IIRC, the OD&D rules point you to Chainmail for combat rules, and Outdoor Survival for wilderness exploration.

Edit -- whoops, I see this was already discussed. Well, FWIW you can (or at least, could) get Chainmail as a .pdf. I bought it a while back; not sure if it is still available.

Last edited:

Steve Winter posted a couple pictures of the product on his Facebook page including a look at the previously unseen cover of the box:

644489_748898768460326_1930778877_n.jpg

1451380_748898771793659_1608283134_n.jpg

63716_748898765126993_653914996_n.jpg

It looks rather nice. Still want to know if it's actual wood and not pressboard.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Will the reference sheets have combat rules? Because if not, while a great thing to own, it's not complete as a game. IIRC, the OD&D rules point you to Chainmail for combat rules, and Outdoor Survival for wilderness exploration.

Edit -- whoops, I see this was already discussed. Well, FWIW you can (or at least, could) get Chainmail as a .pdf. I bought it a while back; not sure if it is still available.

Greyhawk has the "rest" of the combat rules, which build on the "optional" system in the first books: roll on these tables to hit, if you do, then roll a d8 for a longsword, d4 for a dagger, ect. (though its easier to just to use, say, the Moldvay basic set or one of the retroclones for combat rules).

Iosue

Legend
One doesn't need Chainmail to run a perfectly cromulent combat using the rules in Men & Magic. The breakdown is essentially:
Original D&D set -
AC 9 to 2
Attack Matrices for PCs Lvl 1 to 16+, and Monsters up to 11 HD
All HD are d6 with bonuses (Fighter 1d6+1, Magic-user/Clerics 1d6, etc., with variable progressions by level)
All damage is 1d6

Greyhawk provides...
ACs from 1 to -8
Variable HD (Fighter d8, Cleric d6, etc. with uniform increases by level)
Variable weapon damage
Variable monster attacks/damage
Facing rules
Weapon vs. Armor bonuses/penalties

Blackmoor provides...
Hit/Damage location

Eldritch Wizardry provides...
An "Adjusted Dexterity" score to determine order of actions
Table for determining movement by segment
Psionic combat

What the OD&D rules don't have is the initiative roll (order is determined by referee until Eldritch Wizardry provides the Adjusted Dexterity rules) and distinct morale rules (the original rules provide the reaction table, which can be used ad-hoc). Aside from that, the original three books and the Greyhawk supplement essentially give you the AD&D rules for combat.

havard

Adventurer
Blackmoor is back in Print!

Looking forward to seeing the first D&D adventure ever printed, the Temple of the Frog, from the Blackmoor Supplement, now with a new cover! :)

-Havard

Remove ads