[November] What are you reading?

Crothian

First Post
L Ron Hubbard's Fear and then I will be reading the new Dexter book and Yeats poerty. That last one for the paper I'm writing this weekend. :D

The gathering storm from the wheel of time series (12th book), and just finished The Dragon never sleeps and Passage of Arms from glen cook last week.

After this, dunno! Never read enders game or brave new world (herecy I know so I guess theyll be up next)

Crothian

First Post
I'm reading the latest Dexter book and I'm liking it. THe third in the series was the low point and I'm happy to see this ione is better. :D

Shade

Monster Junkie
Just finished Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson. Another instant classic from that guy. :cool:

I'm now reading The Gathering Storm. About 300 pages in, it's the most fun I've had with a Wheel of Time novel since around book 3 or 4.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Just finished Red Sails over Red Seas (I think that is the title of the my new favorite series). Am considering re-reading thieves world, but not sure right now.

Jack7

First Post
The Engines of God

I liked that book

Non-Fiction:

Lost to the West - a great new, short, concise history of the Byzantine Empire
The Friar and the Cipher - about Roger Bacon and the Voynich manuscript. Fascinating stuff.
Stuff White People Like - this book makes me laugh. A lot.
The Philokalia, volume Four - re-reading it actually
The Electric Universe - listening to that on CD when I travel.

Fiction:

Strange Brew - pretty good so far.
The Magicians Death - this book is a fictional story about the theft of the Voynich manuscript. Coincidentally (if you believe in that kinda thing) I found it by accident the same day I picked up the Friar and the Cipher
Brimstone - About Virgil Cole and Hitch. Excellent as always. Just finished.
Iliad - re-reading the Great Books of the Western World in order. Slow going cause I've been taking notes on the more obscure sections. Like the Greek warriors prior to those in the Iliad.

Lectures:

The Decline and Fall of Rome - just finished listening to this on CD. By Thom Madden.
The Medieval World I - Also by Thom Madden. I think he's the best lecturer on Rome, the Byzantine Empire and the Church I've ever heard. He's also an excellent professor.
The Joy of Mathematics - I've enjoyed this a lot. Got it for my kids for homeschooling, but have been watching it as well and it is entertaining and informative. The guy is a really good professor of mathematics.

Orius

Legend
I borrowed Douglas Adams' complete Hitchiker's Guide series from the library the other day on a lark while I was looking for The Gathering Storm I originally read the first book 20 years ago or so which I enjoyed a great deal, and some time after that the fourth which I had trouble following and didn't remember except for the flying scene in the middle (something that would certainly stick in the mind of an adolescent boy ;)). Around the middle of the second book, I started wondering if Adams was hitting the Gargle Blasters a bit much when he came up with the stuff, especially how the narrative can go off on some of the strangest non sequiturs. But as I got to the end of the third book, I was somewhat impressed by how the plot was developing.

I thought the original was funny enough when I was 13, but being older, wiser, more experienced and far, far, more cynical, I appreciate the humor more deeply this time. And when the text decribes the Guide as being remarkable and inaccurate and how it is written, I can't help but think of Wikipedia. I am probably not even the millionth person to do so.

I'm at the beginning of the fourth book, at the scene where Ford is in that alien bar. When the patrons were described as "thugs, pimps, and record company executives", I howled with laughter because of things like Napster.

Last edited:

Remove ads